Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of us with Quads are familiar with the noise and vibration from the front tyres on full steering lock. I was a bit surprised last week after I collected my car with new Michelin pilot sports installed, to find that noise and vibration has disappeared. Anyone else experienced that? The previous tyres were also Michelin’s and they did it. So I’m suspicious whether the tyre installers adjusted the camber or toe or something to resolve it. Any comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,574 Posts

·
Registered
5,572 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Worn tyres always ‘skip’ more than new tyres, even if the replacement tyres are exactly the same compound. As bucketbot states, warmer temperatures also help.

I have MPS4Ss on my quad and even down to 4mm are not yet skipping on full lock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Worn tyres always ‘skip’ more than new tyres, even if the replacement tyres are exactly the same compound. As bucketbot states, warmer temperatures also help.

I have MPS4Ss on my quad and even down to 4mm are not yet skipping on full lock.
Cheers! That makes sense. I bought my car at 15000km and it had already had the Pirelli’s replaced with Michelin’s. It was skipping at that time and I remember reading somewhere that it had something to do with the geometry of the steering etc. I now have 45000km on the clock and with new tyres this is the first time it has ever been quiet on full lock. Must be related to a combination of the geometry and the tread.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
.... Must be related to a combination of the geometry and the tread.
Plus the tyres' compound I suspect. I believe the Corsa's are particularly bad because of their sticky compound.

Anyway, I've just decided to give up on the Corsa's even though I have a rear pair in storage with 4 or 5 mm left. I have a set of the new Goodyear F1 Eagle Supersports on order. I'm a bit late taking the Alpins off this spring for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plus the tyres' compound I suspect. I believe the Corsa's are particularly bad because of their sticky compound.

Anyway, I've just decided to give up on the Corsa's even though I have a rear pair in storage with 4 or 5 mm left. I have a set of the new Goodyear F1 Eagle Supersports on order. I'm a bit late taking the Alpins off this spring for obvious reasons.
Sounds good. Being in Sydney, we’re just heading into winter. Temperatures may reach as low as 6 degrees!!
No such thing as winter tyres down under. Hope the Goodyear’s go well.

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
@Andy Bowden , let us know how the Good Year F1 SS are. I am considering those when the Michelin MPS4S wear out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Andy Bowden , let us know how the Good Year F1 SS are. I am considering those when the Michelin MPS4S wear out.
Pardon my ignorance, but on the subject of Michelin Pilots, what does the 4S denote? 4 seasons, as in year-round? And how do the 4S differ from the SuperSport?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Glad to, but it might be some time. I've only done 70 miles in it in last 2 months as I use the MiTo for most local journeys and there haven't been many of them.
Also my summer tyres until now have only been Corsas so no experience of the MP4s and I've had Alpins fitted since mid-November so Corsa characteristics won't be fresh in my mind.
Pardon my ignorance, but on the subject of Michelin Pilots, what does the 4S denote? 4 seasons, as in year-round? And how do the 4S differ from the SuperSport?
4 is the version after 3, basically. I don't think anyone makes an all-season tyre fit for use on the Quadrifoglio. Others may know better. Choice is either summer tyres all year round, staying off the roads in tricky conditions, or two sets of tyres. I've only bothered with winter tyres because I go up to 2,000m in the Alps twice a skiing season.

·
Premium Member
2,451 Posts
Yes, MPS4S are just summer tyres. Stellar grip in the dry and wet. Sporty all round tyres. Most sporty cars will have these fitted if you look around your car park at work.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Glad to, but it might be some time. I've only done 70 miles in it in last 2 months as I use the MiTo for most local journeys and there haven't been many of them.
Also my summer tyres until now have only been Corsas so no experience of the MP4s and I've had Alpins fitted since mid-November so Corsa characteristics won't be fresh in my mind.

4 is the version after 3, basically. I don't think anyone makes an all-season tyre fit for use on the Quadrifoglio. Others may know better. Choice is either summer tyres all year round, staying off the roads in tricky conditions, or two sets of tyres. I've only bothered with winter tyres because I go up to 2,000m in the Alps twice a skiing season.
I’ve still got my Alpins on too. Hoping to get the Goodyear F1 SS fitted next week. In the warm weather, the car feels very spongey on the Alpins. First drive today in ages!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve still got my Alpins on too. Hoping to get the Goodyear F1 SS fitted next week. In the warm weather, the car feels very spongey on the Alpins. First drive today in ages!

Looking forward to feedback on the Goodyears too

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Michelin make 2 versions of their Pilot Sport tyres - the Pilot Sport 4 and the Pilot Sport 4S.

To keep this simple, the 4S is a better, grippier version of the 4. It is generally made in bigger sizes than the 4 and is now OEM fitment to a number of high end sports cars.

I have the 4Ss on my quad and we have the 4s on our Mini JCW. The 4Ss are, in my opinion, a great tyre for the quad - better 90% of the time than the Corsas that were on it from new (the Corsas are incredible in the right conditions, but have too narrow an operating band for the UK).

The 4s and the 4Ss have replaced the Supersports, though Michelin won't make this direct comparison as the newer tyres use a completely different manufacturing process. The now only make Supersports in limited sizes where they were fitted OEM.

i had the Supersports on my M5 and I really liked them. I would say the 4Ss are better than the Supersports, which are better than the 4s. The 4Ss and 4s will both last longer than the Supersports.

Have you got 4Ss or 4s on your car?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
i would have gone for the PS4S for my Quadrifoglio, rather than the Goodyears, if they existed in the right size for the rear. |I know most who have fitted the 295s to their Quadrifoglios are not having problems, but I chose to go for, what I believe to be, the best tyre available in the 'right' size.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Michelin make 2 versions of their Pilot Sport tyres - the Pilot Sport 4 and the Pilot Sport 4S.

To keep this simple, the 4S is a better, grippier version of the 4. It is generally made in bigger sizes than the 4 and is now OEM fitment to a number of high end sports cars.

I have the 4Ss on my quad and we have the 4s on our Mini JCW. The 4Ss are, in my opinion, a great tyre for the quad - better 90% of the time than the Corsas that were on it from new (the Corsas are incredible in the right conditions, but have too narrow an operating band for the UK).

The 4s and the 4Ss have replaced the Supersports, though Michelin won't make this direct comparison as the newer tyres use a completely different manufacturing process. The now only make Supersports in limited sizes where they were fitted OEM.

i had the Supersports on my M5 and I really liked them. I would say the 4Ss are better than the Supersports, which are better than the 4s. The 4Ss and 4s will both last longer than the Supersports.

Have you got 4Ss or 4s on your car?
Mine are ‘Pilot Super Sport’. They feel great in our conditions. Call me soft or inexperienced or both, but I don’t think I get anywhere near exploiting the full performance envelope of the tyres. I’m not sure I would appreciate the nuances of Corsa v 4S etc. What type of driving do you guys do on public roads which provides a comparison, other than just ‘feel’?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts