Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So a few weeks ago I tried my hand at "detailing" my Alfa - nothing crazy, I just washed it (two bucket method), dried, clay bar'd, polished it and then waxed it.

I didn't want to spend a load of money so I used the following products (all from Halfords:)
Cheapo alloy wheel cleaner spray
Farcela G3 Body prep shampoo (with wash mit not sponge)
Chamiox dried being careful not to scratch paintwork.
Turtle Wax Clay bar kit (clay bar + turtle wax spray)
T-cut "red" polish
Farcela G3 Resin Superwax

I was really happy with the results, but alas its now come time to clean it again.

Given that it's had all the above applied, do I just need to do a basic wash with the G3 shampoo and then dry it? or something else?

Apologies if this has been covered - have tried search tool.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Just wash it with the shampoo. You could use a QD if you wish but I would suggest using a drying towel or some MF cloths to help dry the car rather than a chamois leather

·
Registered
466 Posts
I used a drying towel for the first time this weekend and it's brilliant, takes about 2 mins to dry the whole car.

Hot wheels wheel cleaner £5 from wilkos is safe and works well. Simoniz do a wet apply wax which is really good too, I pick some up from Tescos when it was on offer. Demon Shine is a good drying aid/ quick detailer.

The supermarkets and wilkos are a lot cheaper than halfords if you can catch the offers...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I would probably reapply the wax monthly during the winter months depending on how hard lasting it is.
Other than that wash using a decent shampoo and towel dry, I use demon shine spray on stuff if I want to get a quick shine every now and then, find it gives a duller shine than a decent polish and wax though.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent, thanks for the advice chaps that's just what I needed.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the input. Will get some different shampoo as reading the bottle it is designed to strip away all the wax etc ready for a full clean / polish etc.

Obviously I don't want to be doing that everytime!

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015
341 Posts
Have you thought about pre-soaking using a snow foam before you wash? This will loosen up the dirt, meaning you can be more gentle with your wash mitt therefore taking off less wax.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you thought about pre-soaking using a snow foam before you wash? This will loosen up the dirt, meaning you can be more gentle with your wash mitt therefore taking off less wax.

Are there any do's and don'ts using snow foam. I have found at times after using foamthe end result shows a lot of water marks on the paintwork which were very hard to ged rid of

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015
341 Posts
Are there any do's and don'ts using snow foam. I have found at times after using foamthe end result shows a lot of water marks on the paintwork which were very hard to ged rid of
It's only a pre-wash step. You should leave it to soak for 5 mins (no longer) and then completely rinse off, followed by a normal hand wash. Provided you properly dry you shouldn't get water marks.

For any watermarks that do remain use a clay bar. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
If your intending keeping your car clean with regular maintenance then you don't really need to snow foam, the good quality waxes will ensure nothing is sticking to your paint work. If your just going to wash monthly then snow foam could be for you, but again make sure it's ph friendly.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. In the end I bought some auto gym shampoo that is pH neutral, and says it is designed to be used after a car jus been waxed. I then used a drying towel (great advice lowejackson) and then reapplied the G3 resin superwax. Finally, cleaned up the glass and added some rainX to all but the windscreen. Very happy with the results, thanks everyone for your input.

I'm planning on washing it once a fortnight, and will probably clay bar / polish twice a year.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Thanks everyone. In the end I bought some auto gym shampoo that is pH neutral, and says it is designed to be used after a car jus been waxed. I then used a drying towel (great advice lowejackson) and then reapplied the G3 resin superwax. Finally, cleaned up the glass and added some rainX to all but the windscreen. Very happy with the results, thanks everyone for your input.

I'm planning on washing it once a fortnight, and will probably clay bar / polish twice a year.
That's a good routine to have and you probably won't need too snow foam with the products you've used the grime should just run off

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's only a pre-wash step. You should leave it to soak for 5 mins (no longer) and then completely rinse off, followed by a normal hand wash. Provided you properly dry you shouldn't get water marks.

For any watermarks that do remain use a clay bar. :thumbs:
Thanks, I'm now using a waffle weave towel to dry off so hopefully it'll be ok.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Autoglym Aqua Wax for the coming months.

It's an all in one solution.. Paint, trim, glass and repels water into a nice bead for run off.

For waxing brilliance... Collinite #845 lasts 3+ months.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts