Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my house, my sons car and my daughters cars are insured with Direct line. I went to look at a spider last weekend and made an online request for a quote just in case! back came £350 which seemed fair but said the car would have to be alarmed (fair enough and the ad said this one had one). I bought the car, hence my presence here!! (and havent stopped grinning yet!) ........anyway I called DL and asked to take out the policy, they checked the quote and requoted at £700, :mad: this was apparently because they had asked how much No Claims I had, so I told them, but it seems that as its being used on my fiat I couldnt use it twice! :mad: not impressed I told them to get it down or they'd lose all my custom, anyway the helpful young lad eventually quoted £400, with legal prot, which I took.

He did say I'd need to confirm the alarm details later, nothing about certifactes or categories tho. So a few days later I get a letter asking for a copy of the Thatcham cat 1 or 2 instalation certificate and confirmation that it has a tracker. :mad: :mad: In the meantime my car is uninsured against theft :mad: :mad: I have rummaged thro the cars papers and have an uncompleted instalation certificate for the standard Meta 99tfa alarm and an instruction book. The car is a 98 so 9 years old, worth less than £5k and less than my Fiat that has no alarm which they are perfectly happy to insure!! What planet are they on? Has anyone else had this problem?

Dan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Snap! I had exactly the same experience with Direct Line; they gave me a good quote for my (then) Fiat Coupe 20 VT; asked if i had a thatcham alarm, yes, all seemed fine until the papers arrived asking for my proof of a tracker. I challenged this; they say they record the 'phone conversation and as I am a lawyer, i said "go ahead and check what you said". They did, effectively admitted they were wrong, but would not back down so i reported them to the insurance ombudsman- they offered a token payment of compensation, which i have never accepted and will never use them or recommend them.
In the end i went back to my original insurer who, with a little arm-twisting nearly matched the "quote" from Direct Line. Years later, i still feel as cross.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, sadly, I just expect better. Certainly they were very friendly when they were trying to get the business, but as I am very well aware of the difference between a Thatcham approved alarm and a tracker: I had the alarm certificate with the papers, i remember checking at the time that i had what they told me they needed -first time around.

Also, being a cautious lawyer, and never having used direct insurance like this (i had until then used brokers) I read all the papers as soon as they came through the post and realized with horror that they wanted a £400+ tracker in return for about £100 saving over my broker's quote :mad:

Worse, when i called them they were quick to say i was uninsured, (my fault of course for forgetting to say i did not have a tracker:rolleyes: ) which I was told late on Saturday, so i had a sleepless night, worrying that my new car could be stolen with no cover; they did not care:mad: On the Monday I called them and they gave me a short period of cover (i think 3 days) while they checked their records, but of course despite being wrong, they just left me in the lurch. Not that i care, but i have a feeling they may have black listed me for complaining :tut: I have their compensation cheque as a trophy, but I am happy to tell anyone about they way they behaved.

I was genuinely shocked that in order to get their apology (of sorts) I had to file a complaint.

It would be mildly interesting to call for a quote and tape them, so if they forget to tell you all of the conditions, you too have evidence of their statements. What is the betting they will not like that?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm calling them tomorrow, and am equally concerned that my car is insured for theft. Just out of interest does anyone know what category the Meta 99TFA alarm is?

Dan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dan the Thatcham system is a "moving target" so what was grade 1 say in the date of manufacture, is lower now. I think when this happened to me many years ago now) the Thatcham site had a website where they list the alarms.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you are not able to put the car in a locked garage, then I suggest you consider disabling the ignition (you could for example disconnect the battery)

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I just tell them I haven't got a clue WHAT alarm it has... just "whatever it had fitted to it when it was built". Never had any aggro'.

Though one recurring DL "theme" is that when you send them a renewal letter as proof of NCB they write back a few days later saying that a "printed" letter isn't sufficient. They need a letter from the insurer themselves.

Of course, when they send a renewal letter themselves, it's just a printed letter... :rolleyes:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Just about to renew the GT's cover. direct line came in over a hundred quid cheaper than both Elephant and AF. £246

·
Premium Member
13,135 Posts
I'm sticking with Mor than again this year. After a big hype in my renewal quote I did some homework on the net and called them back. They did a quick U turn and came back with the same sort of price as everyone else (and included the NCP and breakdown cover).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Will the price they quoted was good, but the conditions they imposed on me (and clearly, others) are not. Check the conditions. I hope they don't put a tracker condition on your cover.

·
Registered
662 Posts
my mobile easily records calls at the touch of a button, any calls to teh dealer, insurers etc when im getting an agreement is recorded and they are notified at teh beginning of teh conversation so it is evidence of agreement. i used to agree contracts with clients over the phone and soon learnt to record agreements and confirm with a dated e mail that records the time the e mail was opened at the other end :)

i have my insurance with DL as they were alot cheaper but i havent phoned tehm up just signed up on teh website and they asked me to forward NCB certificate which i did nad havent heard anything since. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts