Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assumed I hadn't quite pushed the dipstick back in yesterday and therefore had oil pump out all over the engine after an 11 mile drive. Reckon I topped up with 1litre and cleaned all oil off from under the car.

Anyway, I've done some normal driving and have a wobble/thriobbing in 3rd gear from about 2.5k revs. Boost is fine, going all the way up the gauge. I've done about 20 miles on the M25 aince topping the oil up last night.

So I parked it an hour or so ago and when I moved the car there's oil all over the car park space. Popped the bonnet and sure enough there's oil all over the place, it's popped the dipstick again! It wasn't user error after all. I've had to put another 1.2 litres of my only oil- Fuchs Titan race pro s, not flaming cheap!

2 questions
1. What could cause this?, maybe I have a blockage I could check this aft if anyone can point me in the right direction.

2. Why did I buy a bloody diesel instead of a V6? Oh to save money and have similar power of course- yeah right, that's happened.

Looks awesome, lovely interior, looks awesome, lovely interior, looks awesome, lovely interior.........,

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
1. Crank case being over pressured. Either the breathers blocked or pistons/rings/bores worn. Any other symptoms? Hoping it is the former

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah I'm big time hoping it's the former!

Only thing that's been off last few days is that it's kicking blue/white smoke out when gently applying pressure whilst driving- say coming off a roundabout, regular town driving. I can sit there and Rev the car at standstill and not really any noticeable smoke. I can keep it at 3k revs at standstill and no smoke, but boy do I wish I'd have checked inside the engine bay first! 3k revs and missing about 1.2litres of oil:paranoid:

I've got the wobbly sensation in 3rd as above, otherwise the car is as beautifully smooth and effortlessly powerful as usual.

The swirl flap 5? closest to the battery has oiley residue around it and possibly number one too.
Wish I had my C clip pliers with me, I could pull some pipes off.

I've had a bit of oil leak from somewhere around the EGR for a while now, nothing major, but it's there.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I've had a bit of oil leak from somewhere around the EGR for a while now, nothing major, but it's there.

If I recall the feed from the crank case for the breather is around there, there is normally some sort of separator to get the worst of the oil out before it goes over the engine to the air intake on the front

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll whip the EGR off in the morning, some pipe work needs to come off there anyway so I can have a look.
Bizarrely, I just had to drive it 14 miles home, stopping to check dipstick a couple of times. Took it up to 100mph a few times, but dipstick hasn't shifted, typical. I'm 98% sure I would've pushed the dipstick in on the other 2 occasions.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the EGR is blanked and mapped out, is there any sense in taking it off to clean it out? It was cleaned after remap.

·
Registered
875 Posts
No point messing with the egr if it's been mapped out and blanked off. The oil leak near there is likely the "O" ring that seals the metal boost pipe into the throttle body; I change these all the time.

Sounds like you have excessive crank case pressure, so first thing to check would be the breather system. There is a separator canister over the back of the engine that connects to the induction pipe at the front (after the airflow meter and before the turbo). For a quick check, pull this pipe off the induction pipe, blank off the connector on the induction pipe (to prevent errors) and get someone to start the engine and give it a rev ( a proper boot full, if you will...) - you should see the crankcase vapours being emitted from the open end of the breather pipe. If there's absolutely nothing, chances are you have a blockage somewhere. If there's a lot of fumes expelled under pressure, then your problems are probably more serious.

As to the smoke from the exhaust under acceleration, if the crankcase pressure is too high, it will force oil past the seals in the turbo, both into the exhaust, and the inlet.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mate,
I'd taken the throttle body off earlier this evening then the heavens opened, so had to pack in. Rain stopped so i went to take the EGR off but I couldn't get on the lower bolt of the heat shield without taking the coolant reservoir off and I just couldn't be bothered as I've packed and strapped that to stop it rattling. I think i have a small amount of oil weeping from the gasket or as you say the o ring.

I assume the pipe you're talking about taking off is the one that you'd have an oil catch can in? I thought i could hear a noise I've never heard before around here, so fingers big time crossed!

One last quicky, I took one of the pipes off that comes from the coolant reservoir to get to the throttle body. Do i need to bleed the system? Just get the car up to temp with the reservoir cap off?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know, but I would suspect that the crankcase ventilation system must have a one way valve in the system somewhere that may be stuck. Do FoxtrotOscar's simple test above that should shed some light on the issue.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This turned out to be a blocked Rutland motors oil catch tank, one that wasn't supposed to block:thumbup:. If you have a catch tank, check it for flow every now and then, I could barely feel a breath through the tank.

Reactions: Rewe and Philjay50
1 - 10 of 10 Posts