Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm not sure if I put it in the correct board.. It's getting dark early now and I noticed my headlights are doing a rather poor job illuminating the road. I was wondering what bulbs do you have in your dipped beams? I checked a thread from 2012 where some of you recommended Philips bulbs, some of you recommended NightBreakers. Are there any h7 lights that are Europe-legal and provide white light similar do the daylight running lights? If not, what are the best h7 bulbs in terms of viewing distance?

·
Registered
JTD 8v Stage1+
267 Posts
Halogen not Xenon?

Price/quality/life:

- Osram Silverstar 2.0
- Philips Vision 60

Performance:

- PIAA Xtreme White
- Philips Racing Vision 150
- Osram Night Breaker Laser 130
- Philips Xtreme Vision 130
- Osram Night Breaker Unlimited 110
- PIAA Night Tech
- Philips Nightguide
- Ring Ultima 120
- Bosch Plus 90

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Halogen not Xenon?

Price/quality/life:

- Osram Silverstar 2.0
- Philips Vision 60

Performance:

- PIAA Xtreme White
- Philips Racing Vision 150
- Osram Night Breaker Laser 130
- Philips Xtreme Vision 130
- Osram Night Breaker Unlimited 110
- PIAA Night Tech
- Philips Nightguide
- Ring Ultima 120
- Bosch Plus 90
Yes halogen, thanks. I will look at the ones from the list.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have night breakers and they are excellent. Far better than the Phillips that were fitted before hand.

I pondered hids or Led bulbs but I don't believe that the actual light that you need to light the road is up to scratch, regardless of whether the light colour matches the drls and will never give a proper length and cut off. More just an initial brightness and then nothing.

Also, I need them to be reliable and I don't want to be looking to change a failed hid ebay special 6 months down the line.

·
Registered
37,519 Posts
We have Philips Extreme Vision on ours.

They are a good improvement over the standard bulbs, and have lasted well so far.

HID's are more trouble than they are worth unless you do it properly by fitting the correctly headlight units to go with them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
HID's are more trouble than they are worth unless you do it properly by fitting the correctly headlight units to go with them.

My HIDs flew through the MOT a week or two ago, and provide a much much better light than halogens. The ballast and wiring all fit inside the back of the headlight, and fitting was no more hassle than changing the bulbs. Dropping the bumper off was very easy, it was getting it back on which was tricky, though even that was down to me being stupid and trying to rush things!

·
Registered
37,519 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ah. Example of (outdated) legislation interpreted by civil servants to the letter and not to the original intent. There's a lot of that about.

In the same way that LED bike lights aren't (or weren't, not sure now) legal although they're clearly far better than the torch bulb glow worm ones.

I notice that it mentions the dipped beam must stay on with the full beam. That's strange, as I recall my 147 didn't do that (with halogen bulbs) - dip beams with the headlamp full beam 'flasher' on did use both bulbs, which was then brighter than the normal full beam.

dom.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ah. Example of (outdated) legislation interpreted by civil servants to the letter and not to the original intent. There's a lot of that about.

In the same way that LED bike lights aren't (or weren't, not sure now) legal although they're clearly far better than the torch bulb glow worm ones.

I notice that it mentions the dipped beam must stay on with the full beam. That's strange, as I recall my 147 didn't do that (with halogen bulbs) - dip beams with the headlamp full beam 'flasher' on did use both bulbs, which was then brighter than the normal full beam.

dom.
I do actually agree with you and if I could go to Osram or Phillips and buy a pair of retro fit yet quality led bulbs then I would but unfortunately legislation appears to stop them doing so and the only alternatives are the sort of crap available on ebay that will start flickering after 6 months.

·
Registered
37,519 Posts
No worries.

I had aftermarket HIDs on my Bimmer when I bought it so I put them back to normal. To get an acceptable pattern the lights pointed a long way downwards, and they were no better than standards bulbs once every thing was correctly aligned.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if I put it in the correct board.. It's getting dark early now and I noticed my headlights are doing a rather poor job illuminating the road. I was wondering what bulbs do you have in your dipped beams? I checked a thread from 2012 where some of you recommended Philips bulbs, some of you recommended NightBreakers. Are there any h7 lights that are Europe-legal and provide white light similar do the daylight running lights? If not, what are the best h7 bulbs in terms of viewing distance?
unfortunately i have the same problem as you (the standard headlights on the Giulietta are just plain awful) and if i ever get the bumper on my GQV resprayed to sort out the stone chipping, then i may actually whack a set of the projector xenon headlights in there (if this is possible, i cant see the required wiring wouldn't be included on models without the xenon option) anyway, the best i could do to combat this was to fit Osram Nightbreakers, the laser version is now around the same price as the unlimited that i fitted to my g, yet they are advertised at 130%light output when an unlimited is advertised at 110% so i would go for the lasers now, as a person who has tried the Phillips extreme vision equivalent, all i can say is they are more expensive, dont seem to last as long (although all these "upgrade bulbs" have a shorter lifespan than a standard oe bulb anyway), and whilst they may be a smidge brighter right in front of you, they dont have anywhere near the same visible range, and this in my mind is what you need, to be able to see further in front of you, and to be able to see past the lights of the car coming towards you.

be advised though, the giulietta with the 1750tbi engine anyway, is an absolute nightmare to change the dipped beam bulbs on, you have room for one hand, if that and you go be feel, the bulbs also go in rotated to an angle, and the securing clips for the bulb seem to love coming off their mounts, took me a very long time and i was not a happy bunny during the process

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm about to change mine over to Philips racing vision +150% for dipped beam and Philips x-treme vision+130% for the main beam. Now thinking maybe I should have gone for the Osram Nighbreakers for the main after reading Sams post but paid for now and waiting delivery so worth a try. Got to be better than the originals at any rate.

I'm probably going to follow this video for fitting after reading about how hard and fiddly it is to change them over. I know there's a few bolts to undo but by the sounds of it I already know I dont have the patients to do it the other way

·
Registered
551 Posts
Removing a bumper on a Giulietta is so easy. I’ve done it a couple of times now. Literally took me five minutes last time.

·
Registered
33,733 Posts
Silverevo ; "I dont have the patients to do it the other way".
What kind of hospital do you work at?
Seriously , after all that paint prep I'd be worried about damaging your front bumper. We had an Audi A2 where the bonnet came off to save on the weight of hinges and a friend asked one Sunday if I'd demonstrate and I'd never thought about where you'd put a lovely shiny aluminium bonnet once you'd removed it..

·
Registered
657 Posts
Silverevo ; "I dont have the patients to do it the other way".
What kind of hospital do you work at?
Seriously , after all that paint prep I'd be worried about damaging your front bumper. We had an Audi A2 where the bonnet came off to save on the weight of hinges and a friend asked one Sunday if I'd demonstrate and I'd never thought about where you'd put a lovely shiny aluminium bonnet once you'd removed it..
It'll be OK:nervous:famous last words. Its only the top four bolts that needs loosening, nothing to take completely take off.

I didnt even notice the spelling error :thumbu p: Doing it the video way might stop me being a patient in the local mental health suite. haha

·
Registered
100 Posts
In a 1.4 MA TCT, I replaced the H7 and H1 by Phillips Xtreme Vision 130% without losing the bumper.

Dured 1.5 hours (used a mirror and loosened the filler window cleaner)

Very satisfied after 2 years, with no problems

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
:ninja:
I was toying with fitting Night breakers in mine, ive fitted them in my last 2 cars.
But having just watched that vid ( thanks for posting that BTW ) i was naive to believe that changing a thing like a bulb would be a fiddly but simple task.
Silly silly me. :thinking:
I can just see the neighbours peeping at me and saying " he,s fixing it again ".

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm about to change mine over to Philips racing vision +150% for dipped beam and Philips x-treme vision+130% for the main beam. Now thinking maybe I should have gone for the Osram Nighbreakers for the main after reading Sams post but paid for now and waiting delivery so worth a try. Got to be better than the originals at any rate.

I'm probably going to follow this video for fitting after reading about how hard and fiddly it is to change them over. I know there's a few bolts to undo but by the sounds of it I already know I dont have the patients to do it the other way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWch-yuoGME
just to clarify i did mine without moving anything, not even the filler neck as mine was full to the brim at the time and has a slightly dodgy o-ring seal so i didnt want to disturb it, i managed to do it this was, but i do have small hands, bendy wrists and previous experience with changing bulbs in poorly laid out modern vehicle engine bays, make sure you attempt it in the dry if you have the back of the light unit open to access the bulbs as moisture will get in quick and be a pain to get out, best of luck no matter what way you choose

1 - 20 of 27 Posts