Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all

As some might have seen, a project car I bought back in 2018 has expired this week - after a load of mods and fastidious servicing throughout

It’s a 159 2.4Ti that is/was running about 260bhp and 400lbs/ft torque. It’s had the updated clutch & dmf about 20k miles ago, swirl flap delete about 10k ago, it’s been alfatuned, the turbo was refurbished about 10k ago (upgraded internals) along with a bigger inter cooler, it’s had updated drilled discs front and new rears, bilstein b6’s with eibachs, nice new Ti alloys in gloss black, some scuffs repainted……You get the idea

After a burst coolant pipe, the head is goosed (compression is 270, 180, 50, 150,270 across the cylinders) and it doesn’t make sense to split it and then find other issues racking up labour costs - versus dropping a lump in

Half of me says cut and run; scrap/strip it, but after all of the time and effort to get it in decent shape it seems a shame to scrap it

Would anyone be interested? As a project??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Vendor
46,826 Posts
Where abouts is the car? How would you value it as it stands?

If I was going to fix it, dropping a known good lump in is definitely the way I'd do it rather than trying to fix your existing engine.

Reactions: paul_o

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where abouts is the car? How would you value it as it stands?

If I was going to fix it, dropping a known good lump in is definitely the way I'd do it rather than trying to fix your existing engine.
It’s currently in at Northern Alfa in Oldcotes, just off the a1 (be Tickhill)

As for price - I have no idea. I have a small rainforest of receipts as I spare no expense when servicing (and it’s all been at Northern Alfa)

Drop a pm?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ouch... feel sorry for you Paul!
Hasn’t your regular mechanic made a digestable proposal to get it fixed again? After all, you already spent quite bit recently at the same place. A bit of special consideration would obviously be nice to receive.

·
Registered
159 2.4 JTDM
21 Posts
What's the quote to drop a new lump in?

Are you mechanically minded and/or handed enough to do it yourself?
Granted there will be a lot of ancillaries, it's not too difficult to swap an engine over. Especially if you are taking one apart first, as it gives you some intuition on how it all goes back together.

·
Registered
87 Posts
After all that time and effort surely a replacement lump is the way ahead. How much can they picked up for?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies all

I can source a lump for £750 and fitting is either circa £2k at my Indy, or £1k at a backstreet

I’ve lost heart with it tbh and the emotional attachment is gone

A shame as I’ve done a lot of work

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah that damned labour cost!! "Alfa Romeo - Turning drivers into mechanics since ...well, since forever ! "
I'll ask you this.. Is spending say £1750k on a replacement unknown vehicle worth it?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve decided to stump up, and lump up, and get a Giulia

So the £1750 will go towards it

I’ll miss the 159 - I still think they are amongst the most achingly beautiful cars ever, but as a daily - nah!

Maybe I’ll buy a Brera or spider one day as a toy….

1 - 10 of 10 Posts