Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am struggling to decide whether or not to keep my 135,000 mile 156 GTA that I have owned for the past four years or to sell it and buy a lower mileage 147 GTA. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with my car and I have spent a small fortune on an recent engine rebuild (due to cambelt, nothing was wrong otherwise), Q2, Konis + FSD'S etc etc.. BUT: The car has covered 135,000 miles and now needs some 'cosmetic' enhancement - the lower half of the car needs a respray (scratches, stone chips and couple of minor dings at the rear due to poor supermarket car park drivers), the wheels need refurbing, front drop links, possibly upperwishbones (they squeak when cold) and a few rear suspension parts need replacing - . I would also like a set of Eibach anti roll bars.

I could probably spend £1500 ish to get to where I want to be (or more).

Question is - whats the car worth? Its got some desirable, in my opinion 'essential' enhancements. £3 - 3.5k car with this mileage / might do paint to sell anyway?

To change, I would want another GTA with lower mileage, Q2, suspension upgrade (FSD/Eibach springs and anti roll bars or similar).

Whats the 'sensible' thing to do? and will it likely cost more to change or do I throw some more money at my car - which I still Love.

Any thoughts as Im deciding whether to book into Auto Lusso or not. Cheers:)

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
I'd say keep it as you have already spent a small fortune on her, the cosmetic enhancements will be far far cheaper than buying a 147GTA and then modding her like you have with your current GTA :)

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
No brainer. You have spent lots getting it to where it is. You might need to spend that again getting a new one to the same condition. If your anything like me, you should know the car and its faults inside out now, and mileage is just a number. Keep it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback - Im inclined to agree, I have had a look through the classifieds and there are no GTA's for sale with all the mods I have carried out - (there was one recently though for about 7.5K I think) Any decent replacement with the mods is likely is likely to come at a premium and I kinds like the Idea of bringing her back to 'as new' condition. I will probably end up spending another small fortune, but hey!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to get totally carried away, I really like the idea of a pearlescent white GTA SW, no idea what that would set me back but I might look into it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Def keeping, will ring Auto Lusso on Monday - thanks for helping, dont want to miss out on the remaining stock of Eibach ARBS either!

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Just to get totally carried away, I really like the idea of a pearlescent white GTA SW, no idea what that would set me back but I might look into it.
With a black roof though? Oh and keep it, no other car looks like a 156, let alone a GTA SW

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Glad you're keeping it. people get put off when they see high mileage on cars anyway so you might aswell keep it and know what is 'wrong' with it and get it sorted instead of buying a car you don't know as much about :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
£1500 not bad (although I'm not being sensible now). I have even considered using my GTA as a promotional vehicle for my company with 'subtle' graphics. Wrapping might be a good option for that -or am I ruining a nice car!.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very glad you all think I should keep, I was genuinely not sure what to do and spending way too much time thinking about it. The mileage is high but I can honestly say it makes no difference, if the car is maintained they drive as well, if not better with a few miles - and you do really get to know the car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have driven a low mileage GTA and it didn't seem to have the same punch. These engines definitely loosen up with mileage. The top end has been rebuilt on my car (twice due to cambelts!) and it now feels really strong - would be interested to get a rolling rd test.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I once drove an original 230,000 mile 75 3.0 to Germany and back with a Lancia Integrale on tow with trailer (back in 1997) - it burn a bit of oil in the process but puuured along beautifully. These engines are tough but do not under any circumstances go over 40,000 miles before changing the cambelt!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im sure that's a well known no brainer - I chanced it 2x too many, both times 40,000 miles on the dot. The second time when booked in for a cambelt change the next day. Idiot!

M

·
0 Posts
Certainly the right decision made in keeping her :thumbs:.........better the devil you know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts