Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since picking up my wife's 2.0jtdm with a c635 gearbox we have occasionally had difficulty engaging 2nd gear where the gear stick meets resistance to the last half cm of the throw and needs careful persuasion to engage 2nd. Over the last 15 months of ownership this problem has become more frequent. I have changed the gearbox oil to MT90 but with no improvement. The car has done 57K miles and is not remapped

I know this is the Giulietta Forum and my wifes car is a 159, however I understand that the C635 is a common fit for the Gulietta so thought I would try my arm here as responses on the 159 section where it is uch more rare have been few and far between

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Since picking up my wife's 2.0jtdm with a c635 gearbox we have occasionally had difficulty engaging 2nd gear where the gear stick meets resistance to the last half cm of the throw and needs careful persuasion to engage 2nd. Over the last 15 months of ownership this problem has become more frequent. I have changed the gearbox oil to MT90 but with no improvement. The car has done 57K miles and is not remapped

I know this is the Giulietta Forum and my wifes car is a 159, however I understand that the C635 is a common fit for the Gulietta so thought I would try my arm here as responses on the 159 section where it is uch more rare have been few and far between

Any ideas welcome

Thanks
Before you panic, you have put the wrong grade of oil in and it is going to make it hard to select gears

You need Fuchs Titan FE 75 we have it on our shop

Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE SAE 75W Synthetic Manual Gearbox Oil - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts

You need 3 litres

Ned

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice Ned and Zoo

I'll call today and order the Fuchs. I gather Alfa suggest the gearbox capacity is 2.7 litres so should I overfill with 3 litres as seems to be the recommendation on the M32 gearbox?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I thought the Capacity was 1.9 liters with a recomendation to overfill to 2.0 liters? Please correct me if I am wrong??

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive checked the owners manual and in fact it quotes 2.8 litres, however my wifes car is a 159 not a Giulietta. Last time I changed the oil (admittedly I should have used Fuch's) it took a drop under 3 litres and Ned from Autolusso recommended
3 litres.

Surely not even Alfa's legendary quirkiness would have different capacities for the same gearbox from one model to another?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just Change the gearbox oil to Fuch's as recommended by Ned at Autolusso. The improvement in selecting gears is so great that I joked to the wife that I was worried about the bill in case the garage had changed the gearbox. So far no repeat of the occasional balking into second, but also every gear is smoother with a nice, positive but not difficult action.

Not sure what the reviewers were on about when some stated that MT90 was excellent for smoothing notchy gear changes. If you are looking to improve your gear change I'd stick with Neds recommendation of Fuchs Titan FE 75

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
the 159 manual is wrong, it's got recommendations for a M32 or F40 gearbox.

difficulty engaging gears is often a viscosity issue, with the viscosity being too high for the selection mechanism to work properly.

you can go to the castrol oil* aswell, if you want abit more viscosity when hot. a 75w is only good for slow driving, not suited for spirited driving, ideally we'd be using a 75w110 for trackdays/autobahn use.

*the castrol oil is Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w90 API GL4, which offers low viscosity when cold but doesn't thin as much as the original fill or the Fuchs when hot. MT90 is significantly more viscous below 100°C, fuchs is only half the viscosity of MT90 until you go significantly below freezing where the fuchs thickens up faster. Not an issue unless you go skiing in the alps or in scandinavia. at -40°C the fuchs is 4 times as viscous as the Castrol, and over 2 times as viscous as the MT90. the castrol is thinner than the fuchs just below freezing....

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Just Change the gearbox oil to Fuch's as recommended by Ned at Autolusso. The improvement in selecting gears is so great that I joked to the wife that I was worried about the bill in case the garage had changed the gearbox. So far no repeat of the occasional balking into second, but also every gear is smoother with a nice, positive but not difficult action.

Not sure what the reviewers were on about when some stated that MT90 was excellent for smoothing notchy gear changes. If you are looking to improve your gear change I'd stick with Neds recommendation of Fuchs Titan FE 75
There you go told you :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Here to help

Ned

·
Registered
9 Posts
Am I undersand right. If I live in Scandinavia then better option is go for Castrol gearbox oil.
Sorry for poor english.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've seen this complaint a couple of times, we always replace the 2nd gear, including the shifter and synchronization rings of the 2nd gear. Some tend to wear quite fast. Do you have your hand on the shifter during driving?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
you can go to the castrol oil* aswell, if you want abit more viscosity when hot. a 75w is only good for slow driving, not suited for spirited driving, ideally we'd be using a 75w110 for trackdays/autobahn use.

*the castrol oil is Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w90 API GL4, which offers low viscosity when cold but doesn't thin as much as the original fill or the Fuchs when hot. MT90 is significantly more viscous below 100°C, fuchs is only half the viscosity of MT90 until you go significantly below freezing where the fuchs thickens up faster. Not an issue unless you go skiing in the alps or in scandinavia. at -40°C the fuchs is 4 times as viscous as the Castrol, and over 2 times as viscous as the MT90. the castrol is thinner than the fuchs just below freezing....
No this is what you need, this C635 gearbox uses an very specific oil, anything else is likely to make the gear change stiff

Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE SAE 75W Synthetic Manual Gearbox Oil - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts
Can't comment on the Fuchs but can certainly confirm what CS states about the Castrol gear oil. My 1st gear issues were effectively resolved on changing to the Castrol oil (not a 100% fix but good enough for me) and the box in general is now an absolute joy to use with changes being slick and smooth.

It also saved me something £1k on a syncro fix.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Two litres and I think the general consensus is that you can put all of it in. (garage did mine so can't be certain on that point)

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
I asked on here how much to fill with and that is what I was told to use.

apparently lubrication is marginal on this box and a little extra does no harm.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts