Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 1.6 Diesel (6 speed manual) has developed an annoying trait of being difficult to slot into 1st gear at times. Only use first when at a complete standstill and when I go to move off I then cannot get the lever into 1st. I have to re-dip the clutch and give it a good shove. Only happens sometimes but can't see any common factors - it happens when engine cold or warm.

No issues with any other gears and clutch is fine, showing no signs of slipping.

Anyone else encountered this or know what could be causing it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ive came across a few post about this in the forum before, seems to be an alfa thing...
Personally, I think its a safety feature where it prevents you from accidentally engaging in 1st gear once you have set off.
From my observation, any speed under 5 ~ 10mph and u can engage into 1st gear, anything over :nono:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I saw a similar forum topic but I don't think this is that as I only use 1st when at a complete stop.
It definitely does not feel right and never used to do it with this frequency. Can be annoying after using stop start, then first won't engage and only solution is to re-engage clutch and disable stop start to prevent engine stopping again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeh I get this. I had my gearbox bearings repaired and the guy who did it noticed it was very notchy in first, but he didn't seem to think it was a big deal. I have to slide to 2nd and then into 1st and it goes in smooth then.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks LaMito. Did getting the bearings replaced fix this?
How much did you pay if that's not too cheeky?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks LaMito. Did getting the bearings replaced fix this?
How much did you pay if that's not too cheeky?
Hi sorry just seen this.

No it's exactly the same as it was before. He said it's nothing to worry about and it's the design of the gearbox as there is gear cables that select the gears. I paid £350 at Halifax gearbox and clutch and I highly recommend them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts