Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking via email to a friend of mine living in Sweden who owns three Alfasuds, one from each series and he was telling me that the best ones to drive are the series I. He mentioned something about differences in McPherson struts and front antiroll bar.

Because he lives some thousand miles away it is impossible to do a test drive of his series I Sud, or compare suspension parts. From what i've seen some of you have driven or are still driving Suds from different series. Would you care to comment on their differences in handling and feeling?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
the early sud ti was meant to handle the best as to thicker anti rolbar and harder bushes than the later series three as i used to have a t reg series two sud ti and it handled really good even on the skinny tyres that were on it ,not like my series three sud ti that i had which used to be a lot softer .

·
Registered
35 Posts
The series III is 25 kg heavier than the serie I
I have 3 Sud TI 75, 80 and 82. I also think that the old one is the most fun to drive but there is only very small differences and I think it most depends on the condition state of the car.
My TI 80 is a racecar so I cant compare that car with the other ones.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have 3 Sud TI 75, 80 and 82. I also think that the old one is the most fun to drive but there is only very small differences and I think it most depends on the condition state of the car.
Two Ti`s AND a racecar ! thats just greedy! ;)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Just for the complete Alfasud experience I have a 1978 series 1 Ti as well as a 1983 series 3 (both 1.3) - and a 1981 series 1 Sprint 1.5 Veloce.

I am not very well up on technical terms or types of suspension etc but of the two Alfasud Ti's the series 1 is the nicest to drive - even with its skinny tyres it seems more composed on the road and is also more comfortable.

The series 3 is entertaining too but I would prefer a series 3 1.5Ti - they sound much better than the 1.3 and the 200 extra cc is really noticed.
My series 3 seems a bit of a wooden drive compared to the far more fluid and smooth series 1.

I had a 1.5 Ti before so know the difference.

Best of the lot for driving experience though is the sprint - far sharper than any Alfasud saloon it has almost race car like handling. It really make you smile every time. Not sure about later series sprints as I never drove one of those. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
i have a seris 3 ti QV too now
and i noticed the gearchange is finger light
as opposed to my seris 1 which feels like you have to drag it into gear
could be just my cars, mabey its in the springs and design
but i wish i had the early ratios and later feel

the steering is lighter on the seris 1
although the seris 3 has lower profile tyres

the twin carb looks feels and goes like its from a different era
but the 1200 sounds great too

my next project is to put the twin carb heads from the Qv
onto the short stroke 1200 block in the seris 1
now that should be something!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Any chance of some pictures of your suds :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i have a seris 3 ti QV too now
and i noticed the gearchange is finger light
as opposed to my seris 1 which feels like you have to drag it into gear
could be just my cars,
Mine is exactly the same, must be normal.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
looks well. :) are those 33 seats ?

Out of interest are those cams still available and if so what kinda increase in performance do they give.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes the C&B are still available and cost about 600 Euro
I have skimmed the heads 1mm but a better way is to use 16v pistons. I think I have something about 135 hp.
The interior is from a 16v 1990.
Send 2 more photos one of my racesud this car needs some work but I hope I can take it back to the racetrack this summer.
The last photo is from one of my 33:s

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Well i hadnt drive alfasud not at least series II & III but i had 2 sprint , one 83 model with sud engine & webers and one 85 model withh 33 engine & delorto , both 1.5.

Some remarks....

The inboard disk deliver better stearing and less vibration to the steering wheel without loosing the feelong of the road. Also the suspencion was a lltle bit longer in movement without loosing traction. The 33 setup a liitle bit stiffer and more lighter in the steering wheel.

The brakes in the sud setup where more weak to the petal and especialy insyfficient in the rain or after rough use. But even then no problem braking. The 33 setup more responce on the petal and better reaction in suddent braking. Much easier to change brakes in sud , just open the bonet and work fronm above the engine rather than removing wheels in external breaking. Front hand brake a pain in the a s s especial when to start from angle....

Sud engine really needs to get warm to start working properly and at least 4-5 minutes not like 85 sprint that almost immediatelly can run (low rev of course) on the road.

Also , sud/sprint rear axcel is a little better and less vibration in bumpy turns that 33/sprint and gives better feeling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been driving Alfasuds for exactly 20 years (this year). I have owned examples of all three series. All are brilliant, but with the added power, the timeless looks, and sharpest handling can be found in the final Greencloverleaf model. I dont know if it is just familiarity but the car has become part of me. It doesn't seem to matter how hard you drive this car into a bend it always surprises with its responsiveness and handling. Check out my latest pictures at www.eastmarinedrive.com. This car is driving better than ever. Castrol Edge synthetic is the best oil since Agip Sint 2000

I really liked the series one Ti (my second choice) It has the sweetest engine and I really liked the dash with the old style script, excellent circular vents, the neat centre dials and that great (dont push me) while my red warm up light is on. The single carb model was hard to start on cold mornings in the UK. and ........we all know about
the rust issue

Happy Driving Howard (Queensland)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts