Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm set on the idea of either buying a pre 2008 159 2.4 SW Lusso (prob 2006) and upgrading it immensely including Brera S/ Prodrive wheels, TI seats, skirts, KW V2's and remap/DPF jobby. Or a 2008/9 2.4 TI SW, remapped but with very little/no money left to upgrade to KW V2's, DPF jobby, defo no Brera S wheels unless I sell my GT which I don't think I can do.

So I've read a bit about differences in model years, know all the differences between TI and Lusso. What I'm really asking is

1- how relevant is the weight shredding on post 2008 cars, how does it affect the real world driving of the car, where was the weight lost?

2- if the dampers and springs were pulled off a 2006 lusso, are there other components that could be replaced with lighter bits off post 2008 cars (not dampers or springs) while the suspension is apart.

3- I'm sure the centre console gauges could be replaced with TI ones (for the red highlights), but how easy/legal is it to change the speedo and rev counter? Or can the fascia of the dials just be changed?

4- if swapping seats over to TI spec, is it plug and play even if the original Lusso seats aren't heated?

5- how likely is it that either way, I'd end up with an immensely fast, great sounding, fantastic looking load lugger?

6- am I kidding myself that I won't buy a TI and carpet bomb my 11k budget?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
well firstly my advice, if you want / need a TI, buy a TI. it will be cheaper in the long run and cause less hassle than trying to modify anything different to be a TI. Plus if you mod the car you have to be mindful of resale.

Upgrading interior to TI is all well and good, but finding a TI interior is not easy because there isn't that many about being broken, plus what are being broken are fetching big money for some reason, so that'll make your life harder.

Swapping out the centre console gauges is easy, as they are bolted to the console facia (which you will need to change to TI spec anyway) and are easy to unplug.

You can change the driver gauges, no problem at all - what would be illegal is to misrepresent the mileage of the vehicle. I don't know if this is stored in the console or the ECU on these gauges so at worst you would have to have the mileage reflashed with the correct mileage. I don't know if changing the driver gauges would cause a canbus issue or not, I can't think that they would be coded mind.

I've got a 58 plate Lusso in white with red leather and they're not heated as I am aware of, so whether or not the heatedness would work, I don't know. Ultimately, its only going to be 12v isn't it!

I've no idea what pre and post 2008 differences are and if I were you, I'd forget about it, find a TI spec car at the right price and condition for what you want and drive it. if you like it buy it. They all look largely the same and they'll all do 30mph around town and 70mph on the motorway same as all the rest!

G

·
I bought a 2007 Lusso and had most of the work you described done. The car is now as I want it. However, I would suggest that you buy a TI because it will hold its value better than a Lusso. If the resale value isn't so important (as it wasn't to me) then you will get a custom car that is right for you. I spent £11k in 2011 + £6k on upgrades in 2012. But a dealer would only give me £6k for it, and a private buyer would probably give it a wide berth because it's not a "TI."

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
2008 weight loss was down to the addition of scotch mist.....

Other changes are the loss of the mono button on the climate control and moving the boot open switch from the roof console to the boot badge.

As the lads say, get a genuine Ti, that way you will see your investment returned.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Something else to consider is that you would have to declare all the mods on your insurance and possibly pay considerably higher premiums.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you decide to go down the lusso route my 2006 2.4 sw will be going up for sale in the next few weeks as I've just bought a house. It's already had the dpf removed egr bypassed and a remap. Looking for 5995. Full history with Campbeltown and water pump done!

·
Registered
359 Posts
If you want all the Ti bits it would work out cheaper to buy a Ti. If you just want the suspension then buy a lusso and some lowering springs instead.

The weight saving between the earlier and later models is i believe about 40kg i read somewhere, the easiest area to see this is in the rear passengers foot well which is a different shape so maybe all the weight saving is in the shell. This change seemed to come in two parts there being a mark 1, then a 1.5 then finally a mark 2 159. Mine is a mark 1.5 which is a late 2007 plate which has the different rear passengers foot well and 210bhp engine but still has the "mono" button on the dash.

Rob

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
A couple of threads on the changes, I believe the figure quoted is 50kgs lighter (reducing 0-60 of the 2.4 from 8.4 ->8.1secs and MPG presumably).

Main points being:

Changes Series I - II: External boot release ( interior roof button removed), Slightly different seats and pattern in the leather, A/C lost the 'mono' button but gained an 'off' button (press and hold the 'Auto' button to get both sides of the cockpit to the same temp), weight loss of 40kg (suspensioin components I think), scripted 'Alfa Romeo' front calipers on Lusso, darker metal fasia on some models, instrument lighting changed to white, different script used on the dials, front mat fittings are different.

Series II - III changes - I'll let you know after the weekend . The Ti lost the full leather seats and gained Half Leather & Alacantara Black Sports Interior with red piping as standard, leather is an option and also now has black metal fasia.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/101333-159-2008-model.html

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/279065-159-series.html

·
Registered
656 Posts
Quote : A couple of threads on the changes, I believe the figure quoted is 50kgs lighter (reducing 0-60 of the 2.4 from 8.4 ->8.1secs and MPG presumably).

This was due to the revised turbo etc between the 200 & 210 bhp versions

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aahh, some great replies to wake up to, thanks!
Very valid point re the insurance, it's always a pain sorting the GT's insurance because of the mods. I'm not so worried about resale value because whatever I get will be driven until its worth very little anyway and even if I changed the wheels on a TI, I'd supposedly have to declare it.

Thanks for the link to the press release, not sure about the 'fix and fold' rear seats thing, I assumed all sportwagons from any year would have folding rear seats. Maybe it's just a different system of folding.

In fact there are a few TI bits for sale on eBay, but for interior bits on their own is around £2K, plus a steering wheel.

I suppose the main reason I'm asking all the above is I do really like gunmetal greys like Titanio Grey which doesn't seem to come in a TI SW Qtronic, prob cheaper to get a TI and have it repainted. I mean isn't this just a fantastic colour http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-159-sportwagon-2-4-JTDM-Lusso-Beautiful-Example-Enthusiast-Owned-/291001694230?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43c10d7816

·
Registered
162 Posts
My 159 sw is titanio grey with black leather if your interested. I also know where there is a full TI Interior for £750! As I was going to convert mine to ti spec until I bought the house :(

·
Registered
746 Posts
A late 2007 early/mid 2008 MK1 TI is the best to go for....as the first release TI was specced up full with most of the toys; full electric memory heated seats, electric fold in mirrors, B&M, split folding rear seats, just to name a few! Later TIs got de-specced and most of the toys which were standard on MK1 TIs, got removed and were turned into optional extras, which obviously most didn't bother with because of the ridiculous price premium!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I suppose the main reason I'm asking all the above is I do really like gunmetal greys like Titanio Grey which doesn't seem to come in a TI SW Qtronic,
Ti Qtronics make for awesome GT cars, mines a 250ish BHP 2.4 and never fails to keep me entertained and impressed

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just looked and my car is identical in every way to the one in that advert!
Hi Josh,
Thanks for the heads up, I'm really holding out for a fairly low mileage Q tronic. I know mileage is nothing if well looked after, but I'll end up with 100k on the clock in no time and psychologically I don't want that for a few years.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is my first attempt at photo manipulation, so take it easy! Found a free program for Mac called Seashore, so thought I'd have a dabble at putting some Prodrive/8C wheels on a 159 SW. One is a full TI, the other is a Titanio grey Lusso that I've kind of lowered and changed the roof rails to alluminium.

ImageBam

ImageBam

It's quite funny that I'm using my GT more than ever just going to look at 159's, god excuse to get out in it though. Went to see a Stromboli TI, roof rails last week, decided it was too much on the silver side of grey. So back on to a black TI or the original idea of grabbing a Titanio grey lusso, lowering it and putting some 19" Prodrive wheels on, TI seats and steering wheel. Went to look at a Titanio, looks awesome in some light, but maybe too brown sometimes, so it's black again until I went to look at the Stromboli again today. It had rain on it and looked superb, I guess if it's not gleaming clean all the time, it won't look too silvery, so now I fancy Stromboli again:confused: Trouble is I really want a red TI on prodrives, but I'm not allowed because it's "too flashy":cheese:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And a Titanio Lusso with Gunmetal Prodrive wheels.

ImageBam

Pretty poor editing, but better than nowt!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts