Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Alfa owners,
My beloved GTV blew an engine a week ago and now I am looking for a new engine.
I have found an engine from a 164 but it has the code AR66301 and mine in the GTV is AR16102. As far as I can see the 164 engine has less power the GTV engine. But what is the difference? Is it only different mapping in the ECU or is there a difference in the engines? Cams etc?

Is there any issues about swapping the two engines?

Hope you can help.

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Yes you really don't want to use a 164V6.

What has actually blown on your GTV's V6 engine?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your advice. I will keep looking for a new one.

I don´t really know the english word for them but the bearings at the piston rods at cylinder 4-5-6 are ruined.
I found out that the previous owner changed the sump and used WAY to much silicon gasket. So the gasket had dissolved in the sump, causing a block of the oil pump. So cylinder head, crank and probably more, is totally dead. :cry:

Which engine codes would you go for? Sorry, I am new with Alfa´s

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Choice is limited.
You ideally want an engine from a GTV or Spider (early Spider only had 12v, so careful with that!).
A 2.5v6 from a 156 would fit straight in, but is 500cc short and has a poor torque curve, so far from ideal.

You could use the 3.0 engine from a 166, but there are differences and you'll need to swap some bits from yours.

There was a Lancia or two that used the 3.0v6, but I don't know if they are a straight swap or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thank you David. But I guess I have all the parts from the old engine, so could go for a 166 engine. Any specific codes to recommend?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, have found an AR16105 at ebay with 140000 Km at the meter. The price is 899€. Only engine,no parts.
Do you think that is a fair trade, the company offers 6 month warranty.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
You really want another GTV V6 engine rather than one from a 166 or 164 there are loads of small differences, wiring, top engine bracket, cam covers, 164 has a different timing belt set up etc

It will make the job a lot easier if you are replacing like for like

Ned

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Okay, have found an AR16105 at ebay with 140000 Km at the meter. The price is 899€. Only engine,no parts.
Do you think that is a fair trade, the company offers 6 month warranty.
That is a CF3 GTV/Spider 3.0v6
There are detail external differences between CF2 & 3 but you have a CF2 to take things from.

I think it would be OK, but better for others to confirm before parting with any cash...!

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
That is a CF3 GTV/Spider 3.0v6
There are detail external differences between CF2 & 3 but you have a CF2 to take things from.

I think it would be OK, but better for others to confirm before parting with any cash...!
Hi David

You are right but my advice would be to find a CF2 engine from a GTV as there are loads of differences, even the cam covers are different, I know these have got to come off to do a belt but I was using it as an example

Find the right engine and it will make a DIY replacement much easier

We probably have one in stock, I would have to check

Ned

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Ned,
Great! I´d like to hear if you have something at stock. Looking forward to hear from you.

Poul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts