Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well what can I say :

I was quoted on saying in a previous thread about diff faliures a month or so ago that I would leave mine original and "if it went, it went"

Well now it has.

Nearly home on half hour commute, turned sharp right 90 degrees at a junction, gently accelerated in 2nd in the rain and crack!

Point of breakage was probably 2-3k rpm and I knew what was going on so went straight to neutral within about 3 seconds of it occuring. Went outside and saw very small quantities of what I think was gearbox oil dripping onto the road beneath (I was not surprised!)

We live pretty much in the middle of nowhere so sitting in the car for 2 hours for the AA man to come was top fun :thumbs:

Still she's back safe and sound in the garage now, turned the engine on to power the steering and all seemed fine.

I wonder if its going to be a Q2 job or gearbox too? I am not so worried about the cost with it having performed flawlessly so far, I just wondered.

Will talk to Mike at A&M in the morning (my local) and get his thoughts.

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was hardly any oil, just a drip every ten seconds (although it was hard to tell - it was lashing it down!!)

Getting the car to Autolusso is not really a viable option for me, but I'll talk to Mike in the morning and if he wants to take the job on, he can. If not I'll see if he is prepared to remove the gearbox and send it off to you for exchange.

I'm pretty sure Mike is perfectly capable of fitting a Q2 so if I am v.lucky then thats no problem. Who knows - I'm not in a rush to get the car back running tbh as I've been putting daily miles onto it (which I did not want to do) so this will give me the kick up the *** to start driving the Fiat again!

·
Registered
318 Posts
mine went in the same circumstances with the oil on the floor and same gear etc.

mine needed a new casing and it cost me 1.3k to get it picked up - rebuilt - sent back out, that was with autolusso

then i paid out £400 for the work carried out in my garage by my mobile mechanic

Scott.

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
I hope it hasn't made a hole. They do more often than they don't though. We can organise couriers etc, all Mike would have to do is remove it and tie it onto a little pallet. Then when it comes to refitting it, remember to fill it up with oil (Don't ask :()!

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
Yours was pretty unfortunate as the hole was massive and couldn't be welded up. Probably the worst one I've seen since working here, most holes are half that size or less :eek:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool - I will let you know.

I don't want to be misread and think I'm misurable about this - I said I wanted to see if mine would go, I'm not a hypocrite so am certainly not cursing the car, when I could have had the Q2 fitted anyway!

It is an experience and it will be more strongly reinforced to other new owners of the importance by me :)

It is such a great car I can't even start to be angry with it.

M

·
0 Posts
2 in a week! If anyone needs proof that a Q2 is the absolute very first upgrade...............................Feeling your pain JR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts