Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the thermostat is not working correctly on my GT 1.9 Diesel.

What temperature should the engine run at?

I've seen there is a test you can perform, but i'm just interested in seeing what temperature other peoples cars run at.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told by the dealer that 70 degrees is a normal temp for a Diesel, just trying to establish if that's correct as i come from petrol engines

I'll go and test this after lunch though :)

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I was told by the dealer that 70 degrees is a normal temp for a Diesel, just trying to establish if that's correct as i come from petrol engines

I'll go and test this after lunch though :)
My GT tractor runs at about 70°-75°

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Mine's doing something funny at the moment -
Heater off it runs totally normally -rock soild at 90 degrees
Heater on it behaves opposite to how you would expect a dodgy thermostat to - gets warm when driving but cools at idle and low speeds - sometimes to well below 1/4 of the guage (although it was cold when I last paid real attention to it).
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/313573-thermostat-water-pump-other.html

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
all my petrol deisels run at 90c and fluctuate at about that ,slow speeds just before and a thrashing above it .....
the thermostat thread i wrote is just that .......it checks correct operation of the device

having heater on ,driving slow,poorly set up fueling etc overfueling takes its toll on engine running temp

my advice from my experience ,short trips long trips summer winter ...set your heater dial to 19c and on auto

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Heater on it behaves opposite to how you would expect a dodgy thermostat to - gets warm when driving but cools at idle and low speeds - sometimes to well below 1/4 of the guage (although it was cold when I last paid real attention to it).
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/313573-thermostat-water-pump-other.html
low speeds and lots of idling regards diesels ...heater takes more heat away than engine can generate thus but do stat check .......in ten mins of warming up ..you should tell if your stat is not functioning correctly

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes, 90 degrees Celsius. It may take a few minutes of driving to reach that point but once there it should remain steady at that mark without wandering up and down the gauge. My GT was like this when I first got it then the needle on the gauge started wandering up then down before I eventually got round to changing the thermostat and now it continues to stick at 90 no matter what.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the test and it stayed cold till it got to about 75 (bout 10 mins) and then the pipe got hot, the temp stayed at about 75.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I did the test and it stayed cold till it got to about 75 (bout 10 mins) and then the pipe got hot, the temp stayed at about 75.
ten mins? i would get reading off ecu to see what temp is actually sending ecu .......i think your stat could be opening earlier than it should if your gauge is accurate (be a miracle if it was lol)

L

·
0 Posts
perhaps the coolant rad is partially block therefore maksing the partially open stat, once you operate the heater the coolant takes the path of least resistance [ thro the heate rmatrix ] & then shows up the thermostat as faulty.

My advise, replace the stat & be perpared to replace the rad too.

F

·
0 Posts
If you run your engine for long enough (heater and aircon off) it should get up to 90 then the fan will go on and off as it strays over 90. I have found though, in cold weather the 2.4 JTD 20v will go back to about 80 if you're driving a less than fully loaded car at above stop-start speeds. I know my stat isn't faulty as it's just been replaced (by me!) :)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
If you run your engine for long enough (heater and aircon off) it should get up to 90 then the fan will go on and off as it strays over 90. I have found though, in cold weather the 2.4 JTD 20v will go back to about 80 if you're driving a less than fully loaded car at above stop-start speeds. I know my stat isn't faulty as it's just been replaced (by me!) :)
if you do ecu reset or throttle reset you can wait over half an hour to get up to temp where cooling fans come on :wow:

·
Registered
96 Posts
the fans are not coming on and i have checked the connections, i did the stat check and the top hose from the stat is not warm like before and the hose going to the bottom of the rad is warm. the temp gauge does not move
from bottom position on the gauge at any time, the only thing is the little red light on the top of the gauge light,s
up has normal. so the connection must be ok. i still have heat inside the cabin, so the tat must be on its way out.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
the fans are not coming on and i have checked the connections, i did the stat check and the top hose from the stat is not warm like before and the hose going to the bottom of the rad is warm. the temp gauge does not move
from bottom position on the gauge at any time, the only thing is the little red light on the top of the gauge light,s
up has normal. so the connection must be ok. i still have heat inside the cabin, so the tat must be on its way out.
or your gauge is faulty

1 - 20 of 27 Posts