Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Would it be any better than the previous 'old car' scrappage scheme?
Mind you there were (from media reports) a good few decent old motors sent for scrap.

If they made the offer worthwhile for me I'd dump me lovely 159, but they won't. They might offer something for cars like Tata's Ewok (nearly new) but old ****ters like my 159?

At best it will be on new cars and I am not buying a new car.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
They won't offer a sausage. All they will do is screw over the people that were previously encouraged to buy them and did so in good faith.

Diesel is already considerably more expensive than in other european countries, we don't need more tax on it.

Also if everyone moves to petrol the UK will fail to meet the CO2 emissions targets dictated to us by the beloved EU.

In the mean time I am going to have to put up with getting 47mpg and paying £110 per year road tax.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
They won't offer a sausage. All they will do is screw over the people that were previously encouraged to buy them and did so in good faith.

Diesel is already considerably more expensive than in other european countries, we don't need more tax on it.

Also if everyone moves to petrol the UK will fail to meet the CO2 emissions targets dictated to us by the beloved EU.

In the mean time I am going to have to put up with getting 47mpg and paying £110 per year road tax.
The UK were leaders in getting emissions targets set on petrol and diesel vehicles. There is not a common EU fuel tax, each country sets its own rate according to the individual government policy. That's why in Luxembourg diesel costs 89p per litre last time I was there and in France it was about £1:09 per litre. We haven't had a fuel tax rise is the UK since 2010, fuel price has risen and fallen with the price of oil, according to the market.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
At least with this scrappage scheme there wont be anything that nice or cool being scrapped - not like the last one

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
At least with this scrappage scheme there wont be anything that nice or cool being scrapped - not like the last one
here we go - you said it, it's a war! :vs_mad:

Reactions: mj2k

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I was horrified to find out how many old Jags got scrapped during the last one, along with rarities like a Bond Equipe 2-litre (ugly straight 6 car which looked like a Marina), etc. The effects still reverberate in the classic car scene now. Wonder how many Alfa 33s and 75s met a premature demise because of Brown's Folly?

As another side effect, shoddy old heaps suddenly became valuable whilst the scrappage scheme was going. I remember noting rusty, worn out 10 year old Mk 1277 Astras (or whatever their numbering had reached) were suddenly worth £800-up rather than their usual £150.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I'll make sure I sell on my 159. They're not scrapping it :lol:. Besides why is crushing a perfectly serviceable vehicle better for the environment overall. That's not a question.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'll make sure I sell on my 159. They're not scrapping it :lol:. Besides why is crushing a perfectly serviceable vehicle better for the environment overall. That's not a question.
It never is, and stifles innovation into the bargain.

Back in 2005 I was working on a method of using lpg fumigation with SVO to clean up the emissions of older diesels, but I was told by the Mayor of London's office despite the negligible environmental impact of using vegetable oil cold pressed from algae vs traditional diesel and tiny amounts of NOx / particulate emissions compared with a 'modern' diesel that the car wasn't 'environmentally friendly', and that I should consider scrapping it. I suggested Mr Livingstone should :censored: in reply ;)

Edit: Oww, look at how any Alfas got scrapped last time:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/357672/bis-foi-2014-20775-scrapped-vehicles-supporting-data.csv/preview

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I didn't count but looks like less than Audi A4 alone :)

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
The reporting method was terrible... what is a 148 Ti :lol:

Or an Alfa Romeo Romeo 1.8 t/spark :lol:

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I was surprised there was no 169 :)

·
Registered
38,702 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Stupid thing is, if diesel tech had stuck in the 80s they would be one of the most environmentally friendly cars because they could run off 100% pure biodiesel. But biodiesel rots the sensors in modern diesel systems (esp common rail) so we've actually made diesels less green than they used to be

·
Registered
998 Posts
Its the clean, green image of Diesels that seems the opposite of what i see when going into the city, nasty diesel fumes, some old cars and vans spewing out thick black clouds of smoke.
I suppose the types that buy a secondhand diesel in many cases begrudge spending a single penny more than they have to so poor maintenance is the result..

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Its the clean, green image of Diesels that seems the opposite of what i see when going into the city, nasty diesel fumes, some old cars and vans spewing out thick black clouds of smoke.
I suppose the types that buy a secondhand diesel in many cases begrudge spending a single penny more than they have to so poor maintenance is the result..
Don't know what sort of nasties come out of biodiesel, but if a car's running on pure vegetable oil (aka SVO) it gives out the same sort of grease particulates as a chip shop. So if everything ran on SVO (the old Routemasters could, apparently) I'd guess the worst health effect would be ending up with a crop of spots like a teenager :paperbag:

But yeah, if the air filter's not changed when it should be, the injectors aren't correctly serviced after x thousand miles, the injection pump is worn or the timing's allowed to drift, thick clouds of black or acrid white smoke are the result.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts