Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I'm ressurecting the variator thread again, but... I get a rattle similar to that of the knackered variator on startup, sometimes, which lasts at the most, 5 seconds. The car will then idle happily and quietly. My best guess is a sticky hydraulic lifter.

Any more ideas? Has anyone had a lifter replaced and could giveme a guide price? Jimybob?

A bit more info - 1.8 16v TS, 65K miles, variator replaced at 35k miles. Regularly serviced.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and it's not every time - and neither always when it's hot or always when it's cold. Just a random rattling when it feels like it!

G

·
Mine does the same thing - just for a couple of seconds on startup. I had just assumed it was because it takes a moment for the oil to reach the top of the engine and therefore nothing to worry about, but I could (probably) be wrong. Anyone!?

G

·
Maybe it's the ABS doing a check up. I always get a wine after I started the engine.
I thought it was the ABS.

Cheers
Designo

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Designo - it's not really a whine - it's the kind of sound that bw is talking about - but that's what worries me - oil not being in the top of the engine! It never used to make that sound, so maybe it's normal for an engine of that age - I'd just rather not have it!

G

·
For info, mine is a '97 2.0 16v, first used in '98 and has 50k miles on the clock (so not exactly an ancient high-miler). It's made the noise since I bought it, but admittedly that was only about 2 months ago so don't know if it's always been there.

My thoughts were that, presumably, it's normal for the oil to drain to the bottom of the engine when you switch it off. So in any car when you first switch it on the very top of the engine will only have residual oil in there until it gets pumped round a couple of seconds later. I just always make sure the noise has gone off before driving away. Perhaps using a special oil (e.g. Magnatec) would help!?

I am certainly not a mechanic though, so if someone knows different I would be interested to know so I can sort my car out too :cool:

G

·
Hi guys,
My 2.0 16v Rattles like a bloody tractor, when cold and a little when idiling even when warm. This is because the variator is totally wasted. Ive got a new one just waiting for my dad to put it on for me.

Dom

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I don't have a 16v so can only offer a general comment - hydraulic tappets often rattle a wee bit when you start up (listen to any Mondeo :D ). My Marcos (rover V8 with hydraulic lifters) occasionally rattles when started. I think it's probably just a question of one or two lifters being slightly more leaky than others, where the engine happens to stop (causing one or another lifter to be under pressure from the valve spring and bleed down as it sits) and maybe oil pressure not building quite as quickly as it used to. I am happy the lifters are OK as I replaced them and the camshaft and still got the rattle.

Might be worth changing the oil and filter before getting too worried about it??

·
Registered
632 Posts
Mine had the same rattle you describe when I bought it richward. I was told it was the variator on its last legs (It still worked, and the rattle stopped after a few seconds, but it was on its way out). I got the variator replaced when I got the belts and tensioner done, now the rattle is completely gone.

·
Banned
477 Posts
As in a previous thread- I have a rattle on warm up, and also I've noticed when I come off the throttle and the revs go below 3000, the rattle is audable, I've thought it must be the variator. Local dealer said that changing oil and filter helps though. Not got round to doing it though yet. At least my single arm wiper conversion arrived today. The instructions are crap....and in German :rolleyes:

G

·
I was going to apologise for widening the variator thread a little and again but if everyone is honest I think it is one of the most enjoyable topics of conversation, any how....According to a respected Alfa mechanic who posts here from time to time there is definetely a link between life expectancy of the variator and regular oil and filter changes e.g. every 4000 miles and less IMO would give excellent life, it is logical too that because they are oil fed that it could take a few seconds for lubrication and thus have the sound described, especially on one of which the bearing has seen better days! Probably ******!

Let the ideas flow........

M.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
mine does this too i hate it ! i too have had my variator done at about 38000mls and
change oil every 5000 or so ,but currently running on mobil 1 and havent had a chance
to dump it yet but as prev mentioned mine also rattles on revs dyingdown from 3000
revs .i do think its the variator but cant be sure

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Going too see a 2.0 with a friend ,is there any clues as to whether its had a variator from just looking at it other than bolts been tampered ? Present owner has no service history he says! :rolleyes:

G

·
The colour of the variator was changed, think its blue on the uprated ones but dont think you can see it without removing the cambelt. Only clue might be just to listen.

If it has no service history it'll need to be dirt cheap as you could be spending shedloads on a neglected car. Why has not got any history, not like its an old banger....dodgy!!!

wrinx

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Not sure of whole story will relate later ,car being offerred at £1000 probably eiight price for n reg but no mot.

G

·
Test-drive the car!
Accelerate hard in 1st gear and then lift off the throttle; if the car sounds like a diesel when on over-run the variator is dead.

Also look at cam pulleys; it is not too difficult to remove the covers.. If you cannot see a big white pulley and a smaller black one with a blue stripe around it chances are that the belts have never been changed. When you change these don't forget to change all three belts too i.e. cambelt, balancer shafts belt and accessory drive belt.
Front wishbones are also a sore point; if they are rusty chances are they're really old so.. jack up one of the front wheels and try to see whether you can detect any serious play when pulling out and pushing in the wheel at its lowest point.
Don't forget to also have a look at the condition of the spark-plugs and make sure they're good ones. Again, if you buy it change all oils/liquids and filters i.e. (engine oil and filter, powersteering oil, gearbox oil, engine coolant, fuel filter, brake fluid). Also have a garage check over the car's diagnostics too see if it's running ok.
Last but not least check if the mileage looks reasonable. If the car has done a low mileage check this against the state of the driver's seat and pedals.. if it's tatty and the pedals are worn steer clear! Also look for finger-prints on the back of the glass covering the speedometer. If the numbers on the mile-reg do not align very well chances are it has been tampered with.
Nearly forgot.. if the car has got a rusty old oil cooler (next to the oil filter) it is an old model and needs changing with the new and improved aluminium version! The car will then run slightly cooler since Aluminium dissipates more heat than steel.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Thanks mate for that, :cool: checked most of that in the process, have to say it does sound a little rattely however on behalf of my friend Steve who already owns a 75 we checked it out and he offered £850 and bought it there and then seems ok needs a little spent on it but there is a good budget to lean on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts