2,703 Posts
less pit stops ?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take the turbo's off, then see where they come. :p

The Petrols don't need them.
Ah, so the Audi's didn't have turbo's???

Bit of a mistake there Audi!!!!!!!

BTW the 2nd place went to another diesel Pug. So last place on the podium for petrol....

Petrol's dead guys. Would like to see an Alfa there next year.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
Ah, so the Audi's didn't have turbo's???

Bit of a mistake there Audi!!!!!!!

BTW the 2nd place went to another diesel Pug. So last place on the podium for petrol....
The Audi R15 in 3rd place is also a Diesel...
First Petrol car home was the Lola Aston in 4th place.

With the current regs, you won't win with a Petrol car, it is still heavily biased towards Diesel.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Audi R15 in 3rd place is also a Diesel...
First Petrol car home was the Lola Aston in 4th place.

With the current regs, you won't win with a Petrol car, it is still heavily biased towards Diesel.
My mistake David. Didn't check engine status of 3rd place.
So what regs are discriminating against petrols that advantage the diesels?

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Audis and Peugeots run with 120KG of ballast and restrictors on the turbos, the Peugeot is slightly more powerful at approximately 650BHP and wait for it... 700fLbs the Diesels will more often than not win the 24 hour events as they make approximately 11 less stops for fuel during race distance, the petrol car race to a lower minimum weight so are slightly more nimble around the shorter circuits and race distance, i hear the diesels are going to be hugely handicapped for next years race so the balance may swing back, when we say the diesel are economical in race trim.......7mpg!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
7mpg in race trim??? Brown stuff.....

So what do the petrols get?

Point really is that diesel is now coming to the fore. Seat did really well in last years Touring Cars before they pulled out. Seems like more effort from manufacturers is being put into that flavour of engine as engines last longer, have lower maintenance and get a hell of a lot more MPG for power delivery, which is what everybody should be looking for.

Still think petrol is in dieing throes and can't wait for a F1 diesel. Way to go.......

Loss.... Engine sound.
Well, mine sounds different from the equivalent petrol engine size but still mean when the lead foot hits the pedal...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Ah.... Life in the slow lane......

Must be quite relaxing while eating your own flesh.:lol::lol::lol:
Honestly though, do you go to race events to watch a blur or colours of do you want to hear the exhaust note of a well sorted car? If all race cars were diesel I would have no interest in motorsport ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Surely the dispute between petrol and diesel can be compared to doping and the allowing of certain drugs and chemical aids in athletic sports , atheletes the world over are banned from using such things as performance enhancing steriods etc because the offer unfair advantages to the person using them, the same will be in motorsport, the officals like the FIA etc will have to catergorise diesels and petrols sepperately its the only fair way to race.

Otherwise it would be the same as getting rid of the GT1 and GT2 catorgories or racing F1 cars agianst GP1 cars.

At the end of the day we want to see good racing, and the best drivers coming forward to get the rewards the desirve, so we have to have cars that are as close as possible in performance, otherwise we just have aother case of Micheal Schumacher at Ferriarri

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly though, do you go to race events to watch a blur or colours of do you want to hear the exhaust note of a well sorted car? If all race cars were diesel I would have no interest in motorsport ;)
Well the blurr of colours is probably due to visionary imparement. The sound doesn't really matter that much as it's really about the race of machine against machine. Drivers do of course have some say in result.

Things change, and motorsport is no different. It's the way things are.......

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Well the blurr of colours is probably due to visionary imparement.
I'll give you that but we'll have to agree to disagree on the petrol vs. diesel debate before we start going into say... road cars at the Nurburgring? It will start to get a bit boring ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll give you that but we'll have to agree to disagree on the petrol vs. diesel debate before we start going into say... road cars at the Nurburgring? It will start to get a bit boring ;)
I'll agree to disagree 10.5k :D But, but but ...... the versatility of a diesel shouldn't be ignored. You could run it on heating oil (36p/l, slightly illegal though) or vegetable oil and still have a very quick machine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts