Registered
43,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BTCC

Shame it's a Panzerwagen !! :(

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I love it when someone tries something different, like when Volvo entered the 850 estate all those years ago, that was great.

Good luck to them :)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
like when Volvo entered the 850 estate all those years ago, that was great.
The best bit about that was in their first season's parade laps... where the drivers had toy collie dogs sat on the roof with them !! :D (Rydell was even wagging the tail of his at Snetterton !! :lol: )

N

·
0 Posts
So what other gadgets does it
have apart from the automatic,
James-Bond-style smoke screen?

:)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Do the diesels get any rule breaks like at le-mans?
Since the petrols are capped at power to 300bhp (I think) by the current rules if the diesel can get anywhere near that and get more torque it could be very competitive - it shouldn't be too hard to tune a turbo diesel engine up to to fairly serious power.
I wonder do they have torque limits for the diesel?

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do the diesels get any rule breaks like at le-mans?
Power outputs are controlled by the size of air intake on the petrols aren't they ?? (If they had bigger intakes they'd have more power than the 280 ish that they have at the moment !! :) )

This is all I could find regarding the diesels...

Regs

;)

A

·
0 Posts
This can only be a good thing and will put BTCC back in the news a bit more for allowing something different.
At this point we can only dream of diesel alfas competing, but surely they could be competitive?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Very bas news :rant:
(Turbo) Diesel engines do not belong in racing. As a TV journalist remarked at le Mans: the Audi sounds like a vacuum cleaner with a cold ...

Sound is also part of racing (non-turbo engnes sound better anyway)

This will probably be a hype for a couple of years and disappear again, as without modifications (like at le Mans !!! with all the restrictions implied on non-Diesel engines) Turbo Diesel engines can NOT win from petrol cars; everybody knows that. So I ask you: why do we try to make something that can not win without cheating, participate in a sport that is a bout winning ??

Next thing: women taking part in Rugby league ? With a new rule: they are not allowed to be touched.... :tut:

A

·
0 Posts
Turbo Diesel engines can NOT win from petrol cars; everybody knows that.

Sorry but what rubbish!;) You have already hit the nail on the head with regards to Lemans and if you were a true racing fan you would know that in the VW Cup Lloyd Allard often wins in his TDi Golf (1.9) against the R32 Golf (3.2V6) driven by Paul Taylor. Then there are the VW Caddy's which also perform well, despite their poor aerodynamics.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you were a true racing fan you would know that in the VW Cup Lloyd Allard often wins in his TDi Golf (1.9) against the R32 Golf (3.2V6) driven by Paul Taylor. Then there are the VW Caddy's which also perform well, despite their poor aerodynamics.
Yes indeed... Lloyds motor is one awesome beast !! :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Bullocks mates: 4 cylinder engine is much lighter then a 6 cylinder: therefore better entering a corner. No compare therefore.

Also: the Diesel you mention is a TURBO engine. If you add a turbo to the petrol engine it is ALWAYS more powerfull.

If you can show a 2 liter turbo diesel car that is faster on a track (full race circuit) then, for example, a Subaru Sti or Mitsubishi EVO MR (both equipped with 2 liter petrol turbo), I buy you a very nice bottle of wine :D The reason why I can do you this offer ? quite simple: Diesel can NOT match a petrol car. Why watch a good number 2 if you can watch number 1 ? That's why Diesel should not be allowed entering in racing, as it will kill the sport.

Technically: Diesel S*CKS for a race car.
Aesthetically: Diesel is an ugly monster.
Environment: (with a partical filter) it's OK.
Fun factor: not even close to a Petrol car.
Sound: no comparison :cool:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to see your keeping an open mind about it !! :rolleyes:

There's no way the cars you mention would race in the same category so your comments are nonsense. :tut:

The whole idea of the VW Cup is good close racing in different 'classes' and IT WORKS !!

It is a FACT that Llloyd Allard's car WINS races againsn't the competition be whatever it is.. PETROL OR DIESEL in his class !!

I suggest you check your facts before (and racing series rules, regulations and results ) before slagging off another member's post !! :tut:

·
Registered
495 Posts
@Nomad: sad to see you still don't get it: depending on regulations a turbo diesel car can win. Under normal conditions however everybody (with some common sense) knows that a petrol car always wins over a diesel (for example: 2 liter diesel loses form 2 liter petrol; 2 liter turbo diesel loses from 2 liter turbo petrol etc.). Period.

Fully subjective (read: personal opinion): why watch VW on a race track anyway ? Some of the ugliest cars ever produced are not really worth watching...

Next to that: diesel car's will ruin more then many people are aware of at this moment for the future...
Luckily some people do understand (like mr Clarkson as 1 of your country men ;) )

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
AB156VC, can't enter comments as comprehensive or as technical as yourself,as I was designed a very simple chap. Have been very puzzled over the excitement that people have for Diesels.Much more sophisticated than originally, but I still keep thinking of them as commercial workhorses. These posts are excellent, even if I do not understand most of the content.Keep them coming please!

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
AB156V6;946321Next to that: diesel car's will ruin more then many people are aware of at this moment for the future... [/QUOTE said:
How so?

Diesel is much more energy dense than petrol and is, therefore, a more efficient fuel. You need to burn far less to get the same power output. The turbo is about delivery of that power. A turbo engined petrol car would generate more horsepower because it can spin at much higher revs, using much more fuel, not because it is more efficient.

@Zulu ferret - you need to be trying a 2.4 JTDm if you think it's a workhorse.

·
Registered
495 Posts
How so?

Diesel is much more energy dense than petrol and is, therefore, a more efficient fuel. You need to burn far less to get the same power output. The turbo is about delivery of that power. A turbo engined petrol car would generate more horsepower because it can spin at much higher revs, using much more fuel, not because it is more efficient.

@Zulu ferret - you need to be trying a 2.4 JTDm if you think it's a workhorse.
On a racetrack it's all about revving. (on the road that's different ;) )

I have owned the 2.4 Diesel (driven one that had been chipped too), and yes it's nice for a diesel, no question. (currently my daily is a bi-turbo diesel, but the next car will certainly not be a diesel anymore)
But no: for fun-factor, sound, thrill, speed between corners etc. it can make it to a 3.0 or 3.2 V6 petrol engine...

Are you coming over to the Nurburgring too (during the AO Nurburgring week-end) in May (or earlier) ? If you do: we can try to make a comparison :D

@ZF: thanks :cool:

Diesel development has taken big steps last years due to the demand (cheaper to run...) but no replacement for a good petrol engine. As a workhorse they're fine/comfortable etc., for a hobby/fun/race car: no way.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.