Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should the 1.9 JTDm be using oil inbetween services??

Mine has just clocked 3400 miles (4 1/2 months old) and yesterday I put 3/4's of a litre in (5w/40w castrol stuff (expensive!!!)).

Does this sound like a problem or is it normal??

Cheers.

S

·
0 Posts
That sounds ok to me :)

Start worrying when you go through 4L of oil every 500miles like I do :lol: :lol:

·
Vendor
45,305 Posts
No, it shouldn't really be using any oil. Go find some level ground and check the level again, make sure you haven't over-filled it. I'd be very suprised if you are using that much oil, my JTD didn't use a drop. Maybe take the throttle-body pipe off and have a look inside, see if its really oily in there..

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked it twice on two different surfaces, seemed pretty level too.

The indicator on the dash was reading 2 bars and the dipstick was just on the min mark. Now the oil is in the dash is reading full and so is the dipstick.

I'll go check the throttle body pipe now cheers, what would an oily pipe mean though??

My friend says if it uses oil it could be the turbo??

·
Vendor
45,305 Posts
I checked it twice on two different surfaces, seemed pretty level too.

The indicator on the dash was reading 2 bars and the dipstick was just on the min mark. Now the oil is in the dash is reading full and so is the dipstick.

I'll go check the throttle body pipe now cheers, what would an oily pipe mean though??

My friend says if it uses oil it could be the turbo??
I was thinking turbo as well.. The turbo oil seals are weeping oil, which is then pulled through the intake system, into the inlet manifold, before entering the cylinders and being burnt off. If the oil isn't leaking out of the engine and onto the highway, then it can really only be going through either the turbo oil seals or crankcase breather letting it back into the air intake system. Or being burnt in the usual way by getting past the piston rings.

·
Vendor
45,305 Posts
Its not excessive oil consumption, but it is suprising and I would keep an eye on it as the JTD engines aren't known for using oil at all..

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
Its not excessive oil consumption, but it is suprising and I would keep an eye on it as the JTD engines aren't known for using oil at all..
Yes I don't remember any cases with the JTD on here before.

·
Vendor
45,305 Posts
The 170bhp model will have an oil/air cooler won't it? Maybe that is leaking the oil, and it is being caught on the undertray? But 3/4 of a litre (assuming it is full to begin with) is a lot to lose, and over 3,400 miles that must be a slow leak. It probably is being burnt rather than being leaked I reckon..

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm just wondering if you are putting the oil in at the right end????!!!!!LOL

I have never put oil in it between services. I assume the garage put iol in it!!???

·
Vendor
45,305 Posts
A 4 stroke engine that uses no oil at all has yet to be invented. ;)
Fair dos. The consumption on my JTD was less than 100ml per 7,000 miles, it never moved from the top of the dipstick between oil changes and so was never topped up. This means the consumption on G5een's JTD is 15 times higher.. Would you say summat is not right there? I know its a 5 cyl 10v vs 4cyl 16v but the principal is the same.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My car is the same as Puds in terms of consumption ie negligible. But, having said that having said that if the piston rings are at the extreme limits of manufacturing spec, or outside limits oil consumption will vary. The main things that effect this are the tangental load ie how much pressure they apply to the liners/bores, the gap width ie they aren't a continuous loop, and the chamfer at the gap, there to prevent scoring of the liners. So, if the tangental load is bottom end of spec, and gap, and chamfer at top end you'll get higher consumption. Obviously depends upon the spec set by alfa, and whether the OE supplier complied to it (I'm pretty sure Alfa wont test the rings). I'm sure this would affect emissions, so maybe ask dealer to check them to ensure that they comply with Alfa specs, not MOT specs or owt stupid like that.

·
Registered
37,360 Posts
Not sure if I would say there is a problem TBH. There is bound to be some variation between individual engines.

I know some Petrol Turbo cars use some oil through the turbo. I would have thought that some diesels will as well.

·
Vendor
45,305 Posts
The insides of the boost pipes on my JTD were always oily, so I was getting some weeping through the turbo oil seals. But not enough to ever register on the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Mine uses such a small amount I don't need to top up between services.

·
Registered
37 Posts
all engines (4 stroke with sump) use oil, most turbo's use more as the lubrication of shafts running at extreme RPM and temps is tricky!

Did you check the oil previously? Did you check it when new? it may be it was 1/2 a litre low when delivered just keep an eye on it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts