Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Got a diesel with running issues. Very smoky and lacking in power. When travelling at constant speed and throttle, the car kinda kangaroos at a frequency of one on-off-on per second.

Disconnecting the MAF sorts the smoke and kangarooing, but power is next to nothing!

Anyone know if this sounds like a dead MAF?

Car isn't an Alfa (it's a Y-reg Vectra 2.0dti* :(), but I think bits of the engine are common with JTDs, and I'm hoping that someone might recognise the symptoms.

Tried fitting a TS MAF to it, which seems ok up to 3,000 rpm, but then the ECU light comes on.

Thanks,

Iain

* Not my Vectra either :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Check the EGR Valve, give the MAP sensor a clean, check for split pipes

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers. EGR valve was cleaned ~4 months ago (meant to say that). No sign of air leaks (there's a network of capillary pipes that run around the engine, and they seem ok too).

The ECU light's not on when the original MAF is on it, but I've got an elm lead, and some hooky officially licenced software somewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
connector to injectors

I would suggest checking connectors to injectors, just had my second of those starting to struggle. for the moment it helped just removing and CRC electronic cleaner.
Johan

·
Registered
207 Posts
EGR cleaned, why? Was the solenoid cleaned?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you might want to check the fuel filter.
Interesting...that was suggested on a Vauxhall forum. It's probably never been changed. :rolleyes:

EGR cleaned, why? Was the solenoid cleaned?
Cos it was all sh*t up(!), and causing running issues/ECU light. It's a pneumatic system that operates the valve on the vauxhalls.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Home
Described as solenoid here!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This one's different...so maybe it's not the type of engine that's the same lineage as the JTD...

The EGR valve has a pneumatic pipe that comes out of it. A vacuum in the pipe causes it to lift (open). The vacuum looks like it's controlled by a solenoid that's mounted on the n/s inner wing.

I'll check the EGR again...or blank the sod off once and for all :lol:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Give it a try (blanking off), nothing to lose. Only concern I have is that the symptoms of on-off acceleration were the same when my turbo went :(

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wellll.... It's interesting you should say that. The original shout for help was that there was no oil in the engine, and apparently the turbo is the first thing that suffers.

However, it only took 1/4 to 1/2 a pint or so to get it up to the maximum mark.

I didn't witness either of these events though, unfortunately...

With the MAF disconnected, the turbo sounds like it's spinning happily.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Blanking off the EGR is relatively simple and at least eliminates it as the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I'd say egr, they have a pin that wears down so even if you have clean prob won't be working as well as it should.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right...day 2 on the piece of sh:rant:t...

Changed the MAF (for one from a Saab :D). Smoking and kangarooing cured, still down on power.

Fitted a new fuel filter...and after it refusing to start until it was forcibly dragged back into life by a 4x4, it was a little better but still no discernible benefit from the turbo.

So, peering into the bowels of the engine, it turns out that the hose in the attached picture is disconnected at the bottom end. I don't know what it does, but I suspect it's got something to do with controlling the boost/boost pressure. At the moment, all the effort from the turbo is being lost to the atmosphere!

Hopefully reattaching it will cure all :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts