Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put diesel instead of petrol in my tank (about 10 liters before I realised),
it's a 1996 Alfa 155 2.0 16v. I need help on how to keep the fuel pump working with starting the car so that I can drain the diesel.
Hope someone can steer me in the right direction - Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Typo in original post - meant to post "I need help on how to keep the fuel pump working without starting the car" - Sorry

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
The fuel pump sits on top of the fuel tank and can be accessed via a hatch in the back of the boot, under the carpet.

Just onbolt the fuel pump and lift it out enough to get a rubber hose in there and syphon it.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for your reply - disconnected the fuel line from the Fuel Injector and used Jump leads from another car and just turned the engine over to empty the diesel into a plastic container.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
A "little" bit of deisel in the petrol won't do any damage to the car .
In fact some people use in to clean the injector system.
However, I am not sure how much could safely be used.
There is a thread somewhere about it ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for their help & replies, thankfully I'm back up and running (on Petrol), the only thing that galls me is that I had to pay for the Diesel :lol:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Diesel in tank

The fuel pump sits on top of the fuel tank and can be accessed via a hatch in the back of the boot, under the carpet.

Just onbolt the fuel pump and lift it out enough to get a rubber hose in there and syphon it.

Ralf S.
Don't the pumps have a giant plastic threaded washer that needs to be loosened to access pump ? I can't see any fuel pump bolts on mine.

Also, the last time I tried to loosen the giant plastic threaded washer on another 155 it broke,,,,,,

help !

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Yes, the fuel pump is held in place with a big threaded ring. If yours broke, you should be able to get hold of a second-hand one from somewhere... since I don't imagine a lot of people want these.

Failing that, the chances are that a Fiat Tempra or Tipo threaded ring is exactly the same part. They can't cost much from a breakers, so it's worth buying one just to try it.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I did that (ups) some time ago. When I realize I was in bit of a hurry and asked a rescue truck driver who happened be there. He put a hose into the tank and sealed the tank filler with a big cloth then he inserted a compressed air pistol into the filler and blew compressed air and 80% of the mixed petrol and diesel ran out of the tank. I then filled the tank with petrol and ran the car (Alfa Spider 1970) cautiously till the tank was half empty and filled with Shell V-Power. The engine knocked a little on the mix but it could be avoided by light throttle handling.
Erik

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your contributions.

Fuel pump seems to have survived and my 155 started on a jump start.

Remarkeable as though it may seem, I believe engine is running smoother....????? I wonder if I had a slightly blocked injector....!!!!!

Now,...what to do with 25 litres of diesel V power & unleaded mix (approx 50/50%)...???

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Someone with a diesel engined car can use it if its diluted with more diesel (lots of diesel truck etc. run petrol in the diesel juice in winter as pure diesel the wax clogs the fuel filters at very low temps.).
Erik

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi if u remove the main pipe in the engine bay and run a pipe to a big bottle then if u ca find the fuel relay pull it out and bridge the conections so the pump run constant u should be able to get most of the fuel out then fill it up with pure petrol ofc oh may be worth putting a bit of fuel in first and running that through hope this helps u

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your contributions.

Fuel pump seems to have survived and my 155 started on a jump start.

Remarkeable as though it may seem, I believe engine is running smoother....????? I wonder if I had a slightly blocked injector....!!!!!

Now,...what to do with 25 litres of diesel V power & unleaded mix (approx 50/50%)...???
Add it back in to the tank a little at a time ! A bit of diesel will not hurt a petrol car, but it will clean the injector system out a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts