Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday after doing a short maintenance of my 159 1.9jtdm 16v, I saw that the oil level is well over the max, almost double the normal values.:wow: and it was very thin.I did the change about 10 months ago with selenia 5w30 and only did about 4000miles.
On fiat ecu scan there seems to be a problem with injector nr.4 on idle the correction value is 1.42, but strange the car runs nice, just went on a run with 130mph(I'm not from England) and nothing suspicios.
Could it be because of the DPF(most of the time i drive around the town, and I accidentally canceled some of the regens) or the injector is damaged?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
It has been known that the regen process can lead to diesel in the oil.
During the regen the engine pushes extra diesel through the injectors during the non combustion cycles (this then goes down the exhaust and burns off the soot in the DPF). Sometimes this can lead to diesel in the oil, there are a couple of threads with more details if you have a search for it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Remember Diesel is oil, so it will be providing some lubrication, but i wouldn't drive the car any further if i was you!

I cant see how a faulty injector would be sending fuel into the lubrication system?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I did the search, but they were complaining about 200-300 grams of extra oil/diesel.I have about 1l if not more of extra oil, and I am worried about my little gem going bust.
Anyway today I am doing a change of oil and I am going to keep an close eye on the level.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Fair point with that much diesel.
I would immediately look at the injector, and get it sorted. You should be able to get it refurbed far cheaper than a new one. If you just change the oil you will be looking at a similar issue in a few months time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was also thinking about the fuel pump been broken...I was at a lot of mechanics with the car to look at the engine, and in their opinion the injector was ok, but I am going to send it over to be refurbished or buy a reconditioned one, just to be safe.

Thanks for the advice and support(despite the fact that I am new).

·
Registered
219 Posts
if you drive with too much oil you can end up blowing turbo seals or worse.... spending money in oil changes without fixing the problem didnt work out for me. check the injector. you must change oil filter too

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
There was a news report in this a few years ago regarding the diesel fuel content at the pumps causing an increase in the sump. In some cases can lead to the diesel run off nightmare, where the engine will run itself to destruction. Scary things them diesels ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks like that the injectors are not the problem.Just cleaned all of them and replaced the orings so now they are working within normal values(so says the mechanic).
He also told me that the injectors were like new(2 were actually new) the only problem was that the code was not changed in ecu and it didn't recognize the new parts.
I just hope that the diesel was the consequence of me interrupting the dpf regen.
Btw just ordered this tubo rimozione filtro antipartic. fap dpf alfa romeo159 Brera 1.9 2.4 jtdm | eBay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts