Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a GT jtdm after owning a 156 2.4 diesel, had the 156 for 3 years,(it.s the 136 bhp version) it had done 126,000 miles when i got traded it in for the GT, I have done over 1200 miles since (no problems yet). Thing is I cant believe how much quicker it feels than the 156, the GT only has 14 bhp more and I,m sure the 156 engine was past it,s best, but the difference is massive. I never felt that the 156 was under performing as it felt strong compared to the 2ltr 156 I had before.
has anybody made the change from a 2.4 156 to GT jtdm and noticed the same.
could it be it has been remapped, and if so is there any way of knowing without taking it to a main dealer.

Stevo

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
The weight difference between a 2.4 and a 1.9 block would make the same power output feel different!

The power - weight - torque figures would not be the same for the two cars!

Compare a known mapped car of same size with yours (if you can) for an idea of wether or not yours has been mapped!

Just a couple of ideas for you to consider, hope this helps.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have recently made the change from 156 2.4 jtd to GT 1.9 jtdm. Although my 156 was the 150 BHP engine.
I've noticed a few differances in the performance. Firstly there are no flat spots when accelerating. It's only when I got in a car that is running well that I really noticed the differance. Maybe your 156 had issues too?

I also find myself having to change down an extra gear in traffic. I put this down to going from a 5 speed to a 6 speed box and the resulting ratio differances?? or is it torque related??

The biggest differance for me though is the ride. :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The weight difference between a 2.4 and a 1.9 block would make the same power output feel different!

The power - weight - torque figures would not be the same for the two cars!

Compare a known mapped car of same size with yours (if you can) for an idea of wether or not yours has been mapped!

Just a couple of ideas for you to consider, hope this helps.
Now Mr Shusky tell us the truth about your beautiful white beast and how much power you have!!( Is it difficult to find in a car park full of snow):cool:
I feel we might have to test the theory with yours and mine!!
But it wouldn,t surprise me that yours was quicker as mine is a heavy old lump with all the chocolate in the back:cheese:
But seriously next meet and weather permiting lets do the swop and see!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts