Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, didn't use the car for the whole weekend, and the computer just gave me the warning of low fuel (last 50 miles or so) when I parked.
I went to take the car this morning and the gauge signed 0!! I know I'm getting senile, but not that much, so I gently drove to the closest garage and put in a tenner to see whether the needle would move or not (I didn't want to put a full tank cos it's not my usual brand), but even with the extra tenner in the needle didn't budge from 0! I gave it a bit of a shake around a couple of roundabouts, but nothing..
Now I'm curious to see what it's gonna be like when I go get the car after work, either I have a massive hole somewhere under my tank or the float is stuck? Will apply the full tank remedy to see what happens, but it's very weird..

P.S.
As for the "getting senile" bit, when I went to pay for the diesel I found a 10 pounds note that I didn't remember I had in the wallet.. mmmmh..

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
:lol:

If it persists disconnect the battery for 30m or so and reconnect it.
It worked my my 159 so hopefully it will work on yours as well.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
forgot to update on this: after a full tank of grog the needle is working again, according to my rough pump calculations there were 4 litres left in the tank (this after 3 days and 10 quid of diesel).. uhmmmm

·
Registered
769 Posts
My needle hovers around the point when the low fuel light come on, then does drop very quickly to 0 after about 30 more miles, even though I know there should be a good few litres left.
I put it to down to a safety feature, being over cautious and forcing you to get to a pump asap.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My needle hovers around the point when the low fuel light come on, then does drop very quickly to 0 after about 30 more miles, even though I know there should be a good few litres left.
I put it to down to a safety feature, being over cautious and forcing you to get to a pump asap.
thought so as well, if anything to avoid sucking all the tank soot in the pump and injectors.
But in my case a drop from the "50 miles left" to zero was quite surprising.
It would be interesting to see how the mechanics of the sensor in the tank works.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's for true petrol man, diesel is way dirtier ;)

I heard about condensation too, but there are different schools of thought on the matter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Still gets mixed up and fuel pickup is at the bottom of the tank! Only issue would be ingesting stuff that floats on top if the fuel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts