Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peculiar this, hasn't happened before, but I'm fairly new to diesels.

I had about 10L in the tank and went to fill up with the posh Esso DERV. I could only get 15L into the tank with the pump handle interlock operating repeatedly. Looking down the filler tube, the fuel was not draining into the tank - the tube was filled almost to the top.

The tank was only half-full but I couldn't get any more in.

Anyone know why? It was very hot. I'd only done a mile from home, and the car had been standing in the heat.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Peculiar this, hasn't happened before, but I'm fairly new to diesels.

I had about 10L in the tank and went to fill up with the posh Esso DERV. I could only get 15L into the tank with the pump handle interlock operating repeatedly. Looking down the filler tube, the fuel was not draining into the tank - the tube was filled almost to the top.

The tank was only half-full but I couldn't get any more in.

Anyone know why? It was very hot. I'd only done a mile from home, and the car had been standing in the heat.
Same happened to me when I got my car (exact same as yours as it happens). Wouldn't allow much fuel in and would sometimes force a lot of fuel back out as if it were pressurised. In the end I realised it was not a fault with the car but rather with me:smile:-I wasn't pushing the filler nozzle far enough in. Fuel must have been going down the filler pipe and also the vent pipes causing an airlock of sorts (well thats my reasoning). I found you needed to push the nozzle in quite hard/far-this seemed to cure the 'problem'. I had a FIAT Bravo before this and it is very similar in design but never had a fueling issue before. Never had an issue with any other car and never had an issue with the 147 since.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I'll stuff it in a bit further next time. I was being quite tentative about filling it as the pump seemed to have a fussy nozzle interlock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts