Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I'm having problems with the sound of my exhaust note.

Originally it had all the cats removed into an unresonated backbox and it sounded like the midnight express pulling out of the station!!

So, I took it to MIJ exhausts by Birmingham for a new back box. Now, it sounds better because it's not as loud but it still has that horrible sound to it (no longer the midnight express, more your average commuter train).

#*@%!!!!

I'm thinking of chopping my factory back box up and adapting it to fit the new pipe work.

Does anyone know if this will eliminate the awful, embarrasing and annoying sound it now makes?!!!!!! I really don't want to spend any more money and it sound the same.

Actually tempted to put the whole original exhaust back on as I haven't gained any power (actually probably lost some).

Any ideas anyone??

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Complete decat, 60mm pipe and OEM backbox is what I have on my Alfa and have to say it doesn't sound bad.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Complete decat, 60mm pipe and OEM backbox is what I have on my Alfa and have to say it doesn't sound bad.
Could you get a sound clip under load for me by any chance??

How about an additional silencer at the position of the 2nd cat ?
This could be something to think about, although I would like minimal restriction.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I removed pre-cat, cat (replaced with freeflow silencer box) and factory original backbox (replaced with minimal restriction backbox - sport note sound)... Such exhaust system have "normal tuned" :) Alfa JTD sound.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the clips I see on youtube sound great whilst not under load, so does mine. When it's under load though. . . . :eek:

Maybe I'm just too picky??

It's only when your full throttle so I might just live with it for a while.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes, under load it sounds similar like an petrol sport car, but, of course, without well-known high frequency noise...
Sometimes I ask my friends to drive my car (I am near the street) because I want to hear that sound, but the tastes are different individually ...

·
Vendor
46,661 Posts
You really should take an audio recording of the car, so we can all hear this noise you are hearing. Looking at de-catting and putting a straight through system on my 2.4 diesel at the moment.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Anyone ever get anywhere with this.
Would be happy to change the sound and don't care if it gets louder as very quiet anyway right now but scared of changes making car sound bad.

Any decent you tube vids of diesel from outside. Inside sounds don't help really. Same old growl generally :)

·
Vendor
46,661 Posts
I'm tempted to put my Unicorse backbox on my 2.4 JTD 10v now I'm not going ahead with my Sportwagon project, I wonder what it will sound like. Apparently a 2.4 JTD backbox sounds great on a V6 so I wonder if the reverse applies?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll try get another video clip from outside.

Got a hole in my backbox at the moment which isn't helping. :rolleyes:

I'm gona check all my boost pipes tomorrow as it's been smoking a bit and seems to 'sneeze' much louder when letting off the gas. :lol:

·
Registered
468 Posts
My 2.4 comprises of the following:

Cat, Standard JTD centre pipe (non-silenced), and a straight-thru rear pipe (no silencer).

This is how it sounds :)
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...t-jtd-straight-thru-backpipe.html#post4054450 (ignore the rattle on start-up)

I'm quite happy with the sound, i was contemplating de-catting but i'm happy with the sound as it is now :)

Pud, AFAIK, the JTD and v6 backbox are the same, Bosal list the same part number, but the V6 has a silenced centre-section. The JTD centre is straight-through. Stick a JTD centre on a v6 and you'd get a nice note :)

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I think its the Decat, my cat back without boxes on a jtd sounded great.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts