Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was visiting family at Christmas and the subject of my (new to me) Alfa 159 TI 2.4 JTDM came up and my step dad mentioned "whatever you do, alway leave it idling for a minute or two after you start it and just before you switch it off" so I humoured the old man and have been doing it since.

Now I've just had a google to make sure I should actually be doing this and a whole host of answers came up including:
- "Don't do it, it only applied to diesels back in the day and now it's bad for the engine if anything"
- "Yes you should leave it for 10 seconds or so before shutting it off"
- "You MUST do it, I leave mine for 15 mins after a journey sometimes"
- "It doesn't make a difference"

So I'm now thoroughly confused, has anyone here got any advice on this as I would rather hear it from other Alfa owners?

Thanks in advance! :rotate:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I don’t idle when starting up I just drive steady until warm and don’t give it a load of boost. When pulling up I leave to idle for a minute or so just to allow turbo to slow down.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Any turbocharged engine, petrol or Diesel should be allowed to idle for a short while or longer if just been driven hard to allow the turbo to slow down or if driven hard to allow it to cool down before shutting off the oil flow, which will leave oil sitting and cooking to carbon in a screaming hot turbo.

·
Registered
38,440 Posts
It isn't too important on Diesels, just drive steadily for the last part of your journey.

On a Petrol the turbo runs much hotter, so there is more chance of damage if you turn the engine off with the turbo still spinning fast.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
There is no danger of damaging the turbo on anything semi recent (petrol or diesel). It's not like back in the day when folks would fit turbo timers to there blown cars to keep the oil flowing through the turbo until it cooled. Many turbos are now liquid cooled and the ones that are not have better lubrication and bearings and better tolerances. Some even have little electric pumps putting coolant through them for a few minutes after shutdown. As said it was never an issue with diesel anyway...Turbos generally are not the often replaced item they used to be. Renault 5 turbos where changed about every other oil change. Lol.

·
Registered
565 Posts
A turbo bearing is a turbo bearing and they've not really changed much for donkeys years. The problems still exist of the heat sink effect of a hot turbo so if you've been ragging the nuts off the car let it idle for 30 secs to allow the turbo casing heat to dissipate a bit, if just doing normal driving don't bother. The idea of allowing the turbo to slow down is a red herring, this only takes a couple of seconds and is over before the engine revs slows down.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I only let it idle for a minute or so if Ive been driving hard so hot oil isnt stood cooking in the turbo feed line.

Ordinarily, when not driven hard, I pull up then gather my things, seatbelt off, unplug phone, get wallet out of the door pocket etc etc and then switch off as the last thing before I get out of the car. Figure those few moments are enough under normal driving conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts