Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
I don't bother with any of them...

I do use regular Shell or Esso Diesel.

The car seems to run quieter on Esso, but the Shell garage is easier to get to.

I have tried Vpower Diesel but couldn't tell any difference except in my wallet.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
My average fuel consumption went from 6.7 to 7ltrs /100 km and I do not seem to get it down again.

- the engine has been chip tuned, EGR closed , but DPF still working
- I have used a DPF cleaning fuel additive twice the last months
- change gear usually around 3000 rpm, occasionaly up to 3500 / 4000 rpm

Any recommendations?

:byebye:
change gear at lower rpm.... only go up to 3500-4000 rpm if you need to.

the tct keeps my engine under 1700 rpm for normal traffic, except highway. Doing the same speed but in a lower gear results in higher fuel consumption of 10-20%..

Going from where I live to Kontich (75km one way) I average 3.6 litres/100 km, and my consumption is high the first 10-15 km due to cold engine and city use. The average is still dropping when I reach Kontich. I can and do repeat this every time I go there, unless I get a dpf regen in which case the consumption is 4.2 litres/100 km.

I get the best results with Gulf diesel, but I'm not sure you can get this in Antwerp.. The difference between fuels is in the distance between regens for me, Gulf is best and also cheap to buy.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
And here is the result after the Wynn's High performance Diesel Treatment.

Did it clean the injectors, or reduce the soot emissions? IT MIGHT. THE ENGINE ACCELARATES AS IT SHOULD AND AS IT ALWAYS DID.
Did it reduce fuel consumption? NO.

ZERO CHANGE IN FUEL CONSUMPTION.

Guess I will just accept what it is and enjoy driving. :driving:

I don't expect it to change the figures noticeably, but will keep it running slightly better as time goes on. 1% here 1% there start to add up!

The biggest improvement I saw was deleting the EGR and DpF, then cleaning the sensors (MAP and boost sensor), and giving the manifold a bit of a clean. Immediate 4-5mpg gain

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Paparico

·
Registered
275 Posts
I get that at around 2mpg drop, nothing really.
expect it to keep dropping as weather keeps getting colder and pick up again next spring usually see high to low of at least 5-8mpg(say 40mpg winter to 48mpg summer) summer to winter on very short commute of 8 miles.
This. The weather is changing and that's likely to have far more of an impact that anything else.

Having said that, I am a big fan of balanced driving. It's called an Italian tune up for a reason. Make sure you are giving the engine something to work against every so often, get the DPF nice and hot and keep the soot from building up. Keep it flowing nicely and you'll stop yourself having problems. You don't have to rag it every but let it stretch its legs every so often.

I think you'd be unlikely to see much difference from one treatment anyway, if the stuff does work its not going to be an overnight fix.

My dear mother swears she gets better fuel economy from branded petrol stations vs supermarket petrol stations too.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
And here is the result after the Wynn's High performance Diesel Treatment.

Did it clean the injectors, or reduce the soot emissions? IT MIGHT. THE ENGINE ACCELARATES AS IT SHOULD AND AS IT ALWAYS DID.
Did it reduce fuel consumption? NO.

ZERO CHANGE IN FUEL CONSUMPTION.

Guess I will just accept what it is and enjoy driving. :driving:
I seriously don't know how you guys get these very impressive consumption figures, I don't get close. Interesting comment about Wynns, I have bought some Rhino that seemed to be well recommended but to be honest I cannot say I have noticed any difference. Just to qualify that statement I am new to diesels and my usage is perhaps not the norm.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Anything less than a 20mile trip and my consumption is terrible, it picks up after this is noticeably worse in the winter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

21 - 27 of 27 Posts