Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My average fuel consumption went from 6.7 to 7ltrs /100 km and I do not seem to get it down again.

- the engine has been chip tuned, EGR closed , but DPF still working
- I have used a DPF cleaning fuel additive twice the last months
- change gear usually around 3000 rpm, occasionaly up to 3500 / 4000 rpm

Any recommendations?

:byebye:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi,

Are you working out consumption yourself or just going by the onboard computer? the latter isnt that accurate.

In general, the best tips would be:

Check tyre pressures and inflate to manufacturer recommendations

Avoid short car journeys

Avoid revving a cold engine hard

Anticipate braking early rather than later, doing this saves energy and doesnt require you to accelerate back up as much.

Avoid using air-con when not necessarily required.

Using premium fuel I find slightly improves throttle response but also seems to get slightly better consumption.

3000 revs seems a little high for fuel saving, try 2500 instead.

Anyway, hello? You're driving an Alfa! Don't worry about fuel consumption too much, just enjoy the car :D

On that note, minor niggles aside, touch wood, my alfa has been the most reliable car i've had and although it costs more to insure, tax and for fuel, everytime I look at it or drive it, it puts a huge smile on my face!

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Hey, run some injector cleaner through the system too, city centre driving will kill your fuel consumption

Reactions: Paparico

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I get that at around 2mpg drop, nothing really.
expect it to keep dropping as weather keeps getting colder and pick up again next spring usually see high to low of at least 5-8mpg(say 40mpg winter to 48mpg summer) summer to winter on very short commute of 8 miles.

·
Registered
38,439 Posts
What is your driving style like?

Do you prefer to keep the engine in a high gear and let the engine slug along on the torque or do you prefer to change down and let the engine rev a bit?

On old school Diesels they seemed to prefer being driven at low revs in higher gears, more modern diesels don't like being laboured as much, and if anything need to be driven in a style similar to a Petrol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
7ltr/100km seems fine to me! I also have a 1.9 JDTM and where I live is full of traffic, hills and very hot weather. A/C is constantly ON.
My fuel consumption is 10.4ltr/100km on average. But who cares? You got a beauty - an Alfa 159!

Besides with oil being so cheap (50% less in price) why not enjoy your 159 and burn some more then usual? :) Have fun with internal combustion engines and remember the days once the oil runs out completely!

- 3000 rmp seems a little too high. I usually shift at 2000-2500 rmp.
- My person tip is to use the 'real-time' fuel consumption and adopt your driving style for best results!

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Not sure which gearbox ( manual/auto ) you have with your 19JTDm.
But if you use 5th/6th gears manual for the speeds less than 100/120kmh respectively to make revs lower for fuel saving purposes you would get a back side of the story with M32 gearbox failure.
It is much costly than fuel consumption benefit.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Wow! Russian Powerdiesel?

74 km/hr during 11 hrs ? :smash::smash::smash:
Do share your driving tactics with us to get such a low consumption. ( 5.4 ltr/100km) :shout:
Well...
This 868 kms is St.Pbrg - Helsinki airport - back to St.Pbrg where only 50 kms city and the rest is highway mainly E18. It is 50Russian/50Finnish territory both roads are good.
Here in Russia we have rather humanistic speed fines for less than 60kms speed up. So I can easily ride 150-170 kmh provided E18 speed limit 90-110 kmh. Another true is this highway is not popular for speed control. Finnish part of E18 is limited 110 kmh where I can drive same 120-130 kmh in the crew. Finns ride fast and dedicated crew maybe easily created.
Please be sure I have no DPF&EGR, powered with NovitecPowerjet, but 4 pesons + full luggage inside.
This is not correct drive but my family always the last passengers in airports.
So, tactics is as fast as possible otherwise flight may be missed.
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well...
This 868 kms is St.Pbrg - Helsinki airport - back to St.Pbrg where only 50 kms city and the rest is highway mainly E18. It is 50Russian/50Finnish territory both roads are good.
Here in Russia we have rather humanistic speed fines for less than 60kms speed up. So I can easily ride 150-170 kmh provided E18 speed limit 90-110 kmh. Another true is this highway is not popular for speed control. Finnish part of E18 is limited 110 kmh where I can drive same 120-130 kmh in the crew. Finns ride fast and dedicated crew maybe easily created.
Please be sure I have no DPF&EGR, powered with NovitecPowerjet, but 4 pesons + full luggage inside.
This is not correct drive but my family always the last passengers in airports.
So, tactics is as fast as possible otherwise flight may be missed.
:biglaugh:
Are we reaching the very core of the alfa feeling? Thank you Buon Giorno for making my day.
The ultimate tactic to achieve low fuel consumption = drive as fast as possible. :vs_bulb::vs_shake::vs_wave::vs_clap:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wynns HP diesel treatment

Hey, run some injector cleaner through the system too, city centre driving will kill your fuel consumption
Thanx, Giblets.

Yesterday while fuelling I added Wynn's high performance diesel system treatment.
This supposes to:

- increase engine performance by cleaning the injectors and fuel system;
- reduce fuel consumption;
- reduce soot emissions;
- prevent deposit formation;
- protect against oxidation and corrossion.

Will this really lower consumption?

Next week the first results.:teacher::read:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanx, Giblets.

Yesterday while fuelling I added Wynn's high performance diesel system treatment.
This supposes to:

- increase engine performance by cleaning the injectors and fuel system;
- reduce fuel consumption;
- reduce soot emissions;
- prevent deposit formation;
- protect against oxidation and corrossion.

Will this really lower consumption?

Next week the first results.:teacher::read:
And here is the result after the Wynn's High performance Diesel Treatment.

Did it clean the injectors, or reduce the soot emissions? IT MIGHT. THE ENGINE ACCELARATES AS IT SHOULD AND AS IT ALWAYS DID.
Did it reduce fuel consumption? NO.

ZERO CHANGE IN FUEL CONSUMPTION.

Guess I will just accept what it is and enjoy driving. :driving:

·
Registered
38,439 Posts
A lot of these additives are just snake oil.

Some might work, some might not but if you can convince yourself that they are working then you are bound to feel a difference.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts