Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Last autumn I bought a 156 JTD that I totally love. The strong point in the car was a serious round of rust-inhibitor. Hence the car itself has 4-6 years left on the road. In Oslo, Norway there is a draconian Diesel-ban looming. There are not many really good 156s in Norway, and the value of diesel just took a nose dive obviously, so a trade is not on the table.

Since the flywheel is on the fritz and the belts and water-pump need to be done too. I was facing a 1000£ work to be done. If I could put that money towards a swap to petrol engine.

I am thing you would base it on a donor car, stip the donor car and move over the parts. As i have swapped engines on some Japanese cars I am aware of many pitfalls:
- Are the ECU looms interchangeble.
- Are the fuelpumps/tanks/lines different.
- Are the K-frames interchangeble.

I know it is hard, but I am confident I can make it work unless there is a major spanner I am not ware off.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
hm... I am assuming Norway has a huge import tax on used cars ?
Just like Ireland and Denmark ?

I think you will need an entire donor car. All the instrumentation, gearbox and fuel system have to be replaced, apart from the engine and its ECU, as you mentioned.
Do you have a 1.9 or 2.4 diesel ?
The 2.4 has a different suspension and engine mount (like the V6s), so you need to go 1.9 diesel to 2.0 TS/ JTS or 2.4 to 2.5 / 3.0 / 3/2 v6.

Its a huuuuuge job :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hm... I am assuming Norway has a huge import tax on used cars ?
Just like Ireland and Denmark ?
Denmark @169% tax, Norway @100%. In Denmark you can ride a bike, Norway you cannot function in many jobs without a car.

I think you will need an entire donor car. All the instrumentation, gearbox and fuel system have to be replaced, apart from the engine and its ECU, as you mentioned.
Anywhere I can read up on that? The mechanical stuff can be managed, its the electronic gubbins that throw me off. Particularly if the looms are not the same. If I can get a facelift done at the same time.

Do you have a 1.9 or 2.4 diesel ?
The 2.4 has a different suspension and engine mount (like the V6s), so you need to go 1.9 diesel to 2.0 TS/ JTS or 2.4 to 2.5 / 3.0 / 3/2 v6.
1.9JTD, so I presume the 2.0 JTS.

Its a huuuuuge job :)
That I know. Replacing flywheel, waterpump and belts is not a small job.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have a 1.8 TS 156 that would make an excellent donor car. 94,000 miles. Will need belt service, thermostat and clutch. Was in daily use until 31/01. GBP£225

·
Vendor
46,139 Posts
Think of it less as an engine conversion, more of a re-shelling of the petrol donor car.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Why the hell are they banning diesels?

Is converting it to run on Bio-Diesel not an option?
Higher soot/particulates and higher NOx... Only thing that diesels do better is grams of CO2 per mile (hence MPG, these are essentially equivalent).. Particulates and NOx present a much more immediate concern for health and the environment than CO2, so nippy efficient petrol vehicles driven sensibly will almost always have a lower environmental/health impact over the lifetime of the vehicle..

Also I believe that most diesel engined vehicles don't need any modifications to run Biodiesel.. In fact you can stick vegetable oil in the fuel tank and run through that with (probably) minimal ill effects.. Probably not gonna be a good idea long term for the extra gunk you'll get..

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Don't know what you could ever mean?:lol:

Damien.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Think seals have issues as its quite thick stuff biodiesel.

Meh, I have an environmentally sound LPG setup so that's a tick box done. But honestly its because its cheaper nothing else. If it kicked out twice as many I wouldn't be that bothered. An its cheaper than running a diesel :)

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Think seals have issues as its quite thick stuff biodiesel.

Meh, I have an environmentally sound LPG setup so that's a tick box done. But honestly its because its cheaper nothing else. If it kicked out twice as many I wouldn't be that bothered. An its cheaper than running a diesel :)
The methanol in biodiesel can attack the seals and **** **** up fo-sho!

What sort of pence-per-mile do you get out of your LPG then? I'm with the diesel chiefly for the running cost too, but love the 650+ range on a tank of fuel! wouldn't like stopping for LPG every other bloody day ;)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
True it has its shorts comings. At the moment its 7.2p per mile.
Saves me roughly over a grand at current prices per year. Inc some petrol. And conversion costs. (18k miles per year).

Although my last fill up was @ 59.9p. Scandalous. It normally costs me 40p... Had to pay over twenty quid for a full tank. Almost cried.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi. The diesel-ban (mandated by the EU) is whammy for people who were tricked to buy low CO2 cars in the 00-ties. The Nox can be mitigated with GTL (diesel derived from gas). However all the blame, expense and burden is placed on the motorist and not the government who got us into this mess. They could offer a scrappage scheme or let us trade in an foreign petrol car to lower the dangerous emission.

I am going to keep my old Suzuki around just for spite to drive around on the dieselban days.

Norway is pretty avantgarde in being the #1 Euronannystate, even though we are not members.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Hi. The diesel-ban (mandated by the EU) is whammy for people who were tricked to buy low CO2 cars in the 00-ties. The Nox can be mitigated with GTL (diesel derived from gas). However all the blame, expense and burden is placed on the motorist and not the government who got us into this mess. They could offer a scrappage scheme or let us trade in an foreign petrol car to lower the dangerous emission.

I am going to keep my old Suzuki around just for spite to drive around on the dieselban days.

Norway is pretty avantgarde in being the #1 Euronannystate, even though we are not members.
How does using Gas-To-Liquid derived diesel fuel mitigate NOx creation?

My understanding was that a proportion of the NOx produced is an inevitable by-product of running hot engines with high excess of air (IE lots of spare O2 to react with the Nitrogen), something symptomatic of the very nature of lean burning diesel engines rather than the fuel itself...

Water injection can help reduce combustion temperatures (and hence NOx levels), or SCR using ammonia/urea to reduce NOx to N2 and water... Are these techniques being supported at all in Norway as an acceptable solution rather than outright banning of dirty diesels?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts