Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a 159 JTD today while my car was having the lambda doodah done.

It just didn't do it. It didn't drive like an Alfa at all. Certainly didn't sound like an Alfa. When did Alfa start doing diesel motors anyhow? The 156?

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
I think Alfa/Fiat designed the ground-breaking common rail diesel - acquired and developed later by Bosch.

They probably realised that all the premium "sporting" brands sold many times more diesels to fleets in particular than hot petrol engined versions to relatively few true enthusiasts. Hence they sell some diesels.

I wish mine was quicker or more economical than it is, so may go back to petrol next, but I have been well happy overall with mine.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Oooh you're asking for trouble with this one :lol:

In an ideal world there'd be no such thing as a diesel car. But if there weren't any diesel Alfas today they'd be out of business, so there wouldn't be any petrol Alfas either.

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
It has been said in a few mag reports that modern petrol Alfas don't have the right "Alfa" sound too because of the regs and modern buyers' demand for quietness so I guess that's an area that both petrol and diesel fail on?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has been said in a few mag reports that modern petrol Alfas don't have the right "Alfa" sound too because of the regs and modern buyers' demand for quietness so I guess that's an area that both petrol and diesel fail on?
Actually you're not far wrong. To be honest the 2.2 TI didn't have anything like the classic Alfa sound. However, the 1750TBi TI does sound a lot closer.

But....the JTD didn't sound like anything Alfa at all.

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
A diesel is a bit passionless it has to be said. But on the upside you get respectable economy even with a 159 diesel - if not exceptional -compared to a typical petrol equivalent and at the thick end of £90 for a fill up I guess many would forego a nice sound for a £80-£160/mth saving.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
It's a diesel 147 (and a bloody good one) :thumbs:

I'm not going to bother posting a reply to the first troll, sorry post.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts

Ahh I see. :thumbs:

I have the best of both worlds a V6 and a JTD, whilst there different they both have their good points and the 2.4 sounds pretty cool for a diesel. :)

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I drove a 159 JTD today while my car was having the lambda doodah done.

It just didn't do it. It didn't drive like an Alfa at all. Certainly didn't sound like an Alfa. When did Alfa start doing diesel motors anyhow? The 156?
My 159 jtdm definitely drives like an Alfa,you just need to know how to drive them :p

·
Premium Member
42,814 Posts
If they didn't do diesel's .... I wouldn't be here :D

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Costs of diesel maintenance are the big downfall in my opinion. Ok, not an Alfa, but a Volvo diesel, just left me £1,200 out of pocket for an injector and an intercooler (both common issues). Thankfully I don't have the DPF issues as ours was made before all this rubbish was introduced.

The world moves on and companies have to keep up and deliver what is being requested to stay in business, so you can't blame Alfa, and as correctly pointed out, the only way some people could be running an Alfa is because it is a diesel. So in summary, they both have an equal standing in the Alfa stable.

I recently test drove two newish VW Sciroccos - the R (2.0 petrol) and the 2.0 TDI. With the turbo R, the rev limiter was low at just over 6k (well I think it was but had the owner sat next to me so couldn't test it properly...) and the noise was nothing special - both important things for me in a hot petrol car. A few days later I tested the 2.0 TDI diesel version, and to be honest, there was not a huge difference between them from a sensory or drivability point of view (visually yes). The petrol R, certainly was not the clear winner for me (which I thought it would be)- due to the 4 cyclinder engine, lack of noise and the relatively low rev power band. Looks cool though....

For new cars today, the gap between petrol and diesel is closing and making the decision harder than ever, for even those that thought that petrol was the only way to go (me incl). But I am scared of the maintenance costs of diesel engines ...

It costs the same to build a complete petrol engine as it does to build the fuel delivery system on a diesel engine.... not sure where this fits in this thread, but it is interesting!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a 2005 156 1.9 JTD 140bhp which I have had for 3 years now, and I would say it drives like an Alfa should.
Its great fun to drive, with good performance, loads of torque, and 40-50mpg depending on how you drive it. With the amount of mileage I do, this is the only affordable way of owning an Alfa Romeo for me. I'm sure this probably the case for a number of people.

I would love to have an Alfa with a V6 petrol engine, but it would have to be a toy for the weekend. I am trying to save up for a GTV V6 or maybe a 147 GTA, I haven't quite made up my mind!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Troll??? Who the f*** are you?

I gave an opinion, which is perfectly valid.

Are you so ignorant that, because it doesn't tie in with your opinion, you need to be offensive?
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts

Are you so ignorant that, because it doesn't tie in with your opinion, you need to be offensive?
You're not a troll mate. You just given an opinion that's more contentious than Jews v Arabs;)

Don't worry about it:thumbs:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts

:tut:

Don't fight fire with fire. Keep it nice, please.

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
I thought it was a reasonable question to pose for General Alfa Discussion tbh. Can't see Mitch's problem with it either.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts