Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Diesel additives...do they work?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  delta 
#1 ·
Or are they just so much snake oil and a waste of money?:confused::confused: I just fill up with the bog standard fuel at the pumps.....

#2 ·
Well I don't know about additives but I was advised to add a little good quality non-synthetic 2-stroke oil at each fill up using a ratio of about 1-300.
It seems to work, the engine is smoother and gives another 2-3 mpg. It is supposed also to reduce clogging up the egr valve.

#3 ·
DO a search for Millers, loads of people sware by it.You can get it at Halfords, I am using it not made that much differance to mine on terms MPG does fell very smooth right up to max revs and boy its quick. Millers is like puting in the most expensive diesel fuel you can buy and at £12 for ten tanks full bit of a bargin in my opinion. you should use something like this it has a cleaner in it and will keep your motor in tip top condition Ie by keeping ERG and injectors clean.

#5 ·
hi Millers is only £12 or so and does 10 tank fulls thats 500 ltrs about witch works out at £1.20 or so a tank.Shell v power is a lot more expensive than the I think, you can correct me if I am wrong lol . No point in using both as they do the same job

#8 ·
Millers diesel additive seems to work very well, our Mito 1.3 has high miles and was a bit sluggish when we first bought it, so i changed the oil and filter, air filter, gearbox oil, coolant etc made a slight improvement.
Decided to add double doses of Millers to the fuel tank and noticed within a few days a much better pick up, especially when the turbo cuts in, so i am guessing there was some carbon build up in the exhaust recirculating system somewhere.
Over the past few weeks the engine seems to be pulling much stronger and smoother and thats running on standard diesel.

#9 ·
I have tried Redex and Millers.....
The Millers is much better, gives a much more responsive engine, smoother drive. Redex was okay.... but I have to say the biggest difference came when changing the fuel filter, suddenly all the smoke and hesistation from the engine disappeared..... like magic!!
Make what you want from it, but the chap that said service regularly and change filters regularly... is the way to go.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.