Alfa Romeo Forum banner
5321 - 5340 of 5358 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
7,284 Posts
All the ones I've ever seen were Chrysler badged...including the one I saw the other day.

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
8,662 Posts
A 1990s BMW 8 Series in black on the Sherwood pub car park, Fulwood, this afternoon.
I thought they looked great a quarter of a century ago, and still do.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
I see this about almost daily but today was the first chance to get a (rubbish) picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Look at this bad boy.

I'm reminded of being taken to the dealer launch of this shitbox by my uncle back in the day. My main memories are the talking dash in the Vanden Plas and getting locked in an SD1.

Attachments

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
8,662 Posts
Haha, I also went to the dealer launches of both the Maestro and the Montego. In my defence, I was only a young lad, and my dad worked at Leyland Trucks so got invites to these sorts of things.
Bizarrely, I've always had a thing about MG Maestros, though never owned one. I did have a couple of the later Rover 216 Vitesse models (the ones based on a Honda).

·
Administrator
47,896 Posts
Been on an outing to Lytham today. Notables were an F100
I would certainly be surprised to see one of them on the road:
Sky Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Cloud

Many years ago, I too was "subject to a manpower reduction program"! 😂
I've been thinking about speaking to the doctor about one, but COVID got in the way.

·
Administrator
47,896 Posts
Yep ....tiny pistons too.....I worked on one once. Google says that 1600 Six has just a 66.75mm (2.6inches) bore and a 76mm (3 inches) stroke!
Mazda put a tiny V6 in their MX3 as I remember. Was it a 1.8?

This morning I was driving behind a silver Porsche all electric ESTATE car.
That was unexpected!

(Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, apparently)
Think yourself lucky you were behind it. The front of a Taycan is ugly enough to give you a migraine.

Reactions: Dave Brand

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Mazda put a tiny V6 in their MX3 as I remember. Was it a 1.8?
Yes it was.....a more gutless engine you would be very hard pressed to find!!

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,331 ·
Look at this bad boy.

I'm reminded of being taken to the dealer launch of this shitbox by my uncle back in the day. My main memories are the talking dash in the Vanden Plas and getting locked in an SD1.
The Maestro was a strange looking car, for sure. It looked frumpy, but also weirdly dated by things like those strip bumpers (granted the 83 Golf had them) but the Astra had already moved onto plastic, better integrated bumpers. The lights at the rear don’t have any grace to them, while the indicators/lights/grill don’t seem to have any harmony between them. For a brand new car - back then - it didn’t exactly point to the future. Surely it could have been a bit better looking?

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Weirdly I think they all started off with plastic bumpers. The metal ones came later. Which makes no sense I know.

It was the successor to the Maxi which, itself, was a fundamentally sound idea but just looked so dreary.

·
Registered
39,593 Posts
The Maestro was designed to have limo doors , like a Golf , that went to the roof-joint and the project sat in the store-room a few years until there was money to do it. By this time the bumpers which were on the cheap model looked old fashioned so they designed the full plastic ones for the more expensive models. Meanwhile there was no money to do the wrap over doors. The deep groove by David Bache , from his Range Rover design , survived. In the mid80’s when I was doing my “internship“ at Austin Rover there was a fullsize model with the groove filled in. Not good.

·
Administrator
47,896 Posts
“Think yourself lucky you were behind it. The front of a Taycan is ugly enough to give you a migraine.”
not that Taycan by it then?
That was a shocking pun. I'm surprised the mods haven't received a battery of complaints about it.

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
8,662 Posts
The Maestro was a strange looking car, for sure. It looked frumpy, but also weirdly dated by things like those strip bumpers (granted the 83 Golf had them) but the Astra had already moved onto plastic, better integrated bumpers. The lights at the rear don’t have any grace to them, while the indicators/lights/grill don’t seem to have any harmony between them. For a brand new car - back then - it didn’t exactly point to the future. Surely it could have been a bit better looking?
It did get a bit better with the Turbo. These things were very quick for the time, but I don't think they made or sold many.
I wouldn't mind having a blast in one.

Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

Reactions: Scudetto

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
They were so light that a mere 150 horses were enough to propel it to 60 in a very respectable 6.8 seconds!!......

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,337 ·
I remember the Turbo. When I was at college, the librarian bought a brand new one. She was a slight, very prim and proper lady, who said issue and tissue in that slightly posh way… I was always intrigued by the clash between her mild demeanour and that of her hooligan car. :)

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,338 ·
That was a shocking pun. I'm surprised the mods haven't received a battery of complaints about it.
Just as well. They’d be working flat out :)

coat etc :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
In 1990, I had the wherewithall to buy my first brand new car. I wanted (and got) a Rover 216GSi. At the local showroom they had a MG Maestro Turbo, just like the one in lussoman's photo. The wife suggested it as an alternative and didn't like my emphatic "No".

·
Registered
948 Spider LE
8,662 Posts
In 1990, I had the wherewithall to buy my first brand new car. I wanted (and got) a Rover 216GSi. At the local showroom they had a MG Maestro Turbo, just like the one in lussoman's photo. The wife suggested it as an alternative and didn't like my emphatic "No".
Sounds like your wife's a petrolhead! 👍

5321 - 5340 of 5358 Posts