Alfa Romeo Forum banner

4101 - 4120 of 4156 Posts

·
Registered
35,773 Posts
That’s what I thought. What is it with VW stuff being worth restoring. It must take a bit of work, at least as much as any other cars. I saw a pic of a pre-restoration Transporter and it was far gone.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
That’s what I thought. What is it with VW stuff being worth restoring. It must take a bit of work, at least as much as any other cars. I saw a pic of a pre-restoration Transporter and it was far gone.
It's known as scene tax. Nicely restored campers are worth a fortune so even total basket cases are almost worth doing. I doubt there's a car make with a bigger global following.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Needed to move my Giulietta onto the road so my daughter could get her car in and out. Sometimes have to place it next to lesser makes but today, as though on cue, an immaculate blue Stelvio was parked there.

Alfas 280920 (2).JPG

·
Registered
35,773 Posts
That’s £1098 a month more than I pay a month on mine, but then I’ve paid the most off the PCP they’ll let me!

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,108
I’m not fussed on modern era Ferraris, but I like the Roma a lot. And yes,
you can bellyache about this and that, but I really like it.

Driving home today to see my ‘rents and passing through Hawthorn Hill - which is a weird dead lands space between the butt end of Ascot, Bracknell and Holyport - coming the other way, was a Roma on Belgian number plates.

Oh yes.

And right behind it, was... another Roma.

And right behind that, was a Roma.

And right behind that, was... another Roma!

Romas in a row. Perfect 👍

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
I thought that was the set of rules, principles, and processes that govern the structure of sentences?
Only just read your post, very good. I don’t usually like puns unless very clever, I suppose I associate them with the forced puns perpetrated by the gutter press.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,110
Stop being so clever. I get out of my depth :)

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
CUE2 "Are those plates legal?"

No....only legal on cars over 40 old (that car is years 1988 or 1989) and ( the bit most forget) it has to be registered with the DLVA as a "classic car)…..unless it was registered before 1973...in which case a black/chrome plate is fine....registered a classic or not.

·
Registered
35,773 Posts
Ah, but an old VW is automatically a classic in the minds of U.K. drivers. The number of times I’ve heard callers on BBC radio telling everybody they’re going away for the weekend in the VW camper is ridiculous. If they said any other make they’d be told it was advertising.

·
Registered
35,773 Posts
CUE2 "Are those plates legal?"

No....only legal on cars over 40 old (that car is years 1988 or 1989) and ( the bit most forget) it has to be registered with the DLVA as a "classic car)…..unless it was registered before 1973...in which case a black/chrome plate is fine....registered a classic or not.
Rhetorical question!

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Fair enough.....just judging by the number of modernish cars (and bikes) I see with black and chromes...its not common knowledge to all!!

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Talking of VW Campers and classic plates, I saw a white one this morning on a 'J' black/silver plate in Longridge. That's a 1970. Very distinctive noise as it went past, and looked in good nick.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Many of the garages attached to Orpington's suburban houses are too narrow for a modern car, having been designed in the twenties and thirties when an Austin Seven was the norm. Walked past a house where the garage door was open, revealing - an Austin Seven.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
My mother had an Austin 7 after WWII, it had a very basic chassis and brake system of pull rods. Back seat was an old beer barrel which as a very young child I sat on. She was teaching her younger brother to drive when the brakes failed going down a hill (I wasn’t in it) so he got out! I suppose it wasn’t going fast at the time, It was an Austin 7 after all. My father had quite a number of cars and one had fold down trays in the back, no idea what it was but we spent hours in it parked in front of the house pretending it was a Lancaster bomber. Now none of them I would be interested in having these days even if they were worth something, I’m not nostalgic and I think that’s what drives the prices up.
I did see one of those large BMW electric cars yesterday, the i8, will that be a classic in the future?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Another from my north of the border correspondent. Apparently when he saw a picture being taken, he gave it a bootfull.

Attachments

4101 - 4120 of 4156 Posts