Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out on country lanes in the wife's EOS which has the DSG gearbox. I was behind a slower car and coming up to a place where it's possible to pass safely if you time it right. I find the DSG to be ponderous on the kickdown, too ponderous for this overtaking opportunity, so I stuck it in manual and put it into 2nd in good time to wind up the turbo. I shot past the slower car, went for 3rd and an imaginary clutch and stomped on the brake instead. After a moment of confusion when I thought the car was broken I found myself almost stationary on the wrong side of the road having scared the bejesus out of the elderly couple I was attempting to pass. :paranoid:

The good news is that the EOS's brakes are very, very good. :thumbup:

·
Administrator
87,585 Posts
That could have ended badly :eek: Luckily there wasn't anything heading towards you or following you on the overtake.

Sounds similar to the rally driver syndrome where they've switched to LHD from RHD, pulling the door handle doesn't have the same effect as pulling the handbrake ;)

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That could have ended badly :eek: Luckily there wasn't anything heading towards you or following you on the overtake.
I could see there was nothing coming or else I wouldn't have attempted the manoeuvre! It could have been bad if I had stomped on the brake after having pulled in though.

Sounds similar to the rally driver syndrome where they've switched to LHD from RHD, pulling the door handle doesn't have the same effect as pulling the handbrake ;)
Yes. I think it's a case of having too much to think about - there's speed, distance, timing and position to compute when overtaking - and muscle memory takes over.

It has made me think that I should either learn patience or get a paddle shift retrofit. :ermm:

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
My car is a lady gearbox but when I drive the wife's manual I don't usually have issues.

I have had the odd "Are you going to change gear" from the passenger:lol:

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It hasn't hitherto caused me problems either except the odd time I'm in the GT and I'm late on the clutch when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,212 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I would never get in a car driven by you or even with you anywhere in it. You are a bad omen, as you have just come out of a previous mishap with another driver. Had an oncoming vehicle been there, they may have died!
May I suggest that you and your lady friend sell any motorised vehicle in your possession, hand your licences in and take up cycling?

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
I would never get in a car driven by you or even with you anywhere in it. You are a bad omen, as you have just come out of a previous mishap with another driver. Had an oncoming vehicle been there, they may have died!
May I suggest that you and your lady friend sell any motorised vehicle in your possession, hand your licences in and take up cycling?
Has he offered you a lift? Turning down offers you haven't received? :confused:
I doubt he'll pick you up when you're next hitchhiking either. :byebye:

·
Registered
15,192 Posts
I don't like semi-autos for that very reason. I can drive an auto and not even think about the clutch, but my brain cannot change gear without my left foot looking for one.

I'd accept a lift from you but only if you keep it in full auto mode.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
I'm fine with an automatic, just hook your left leg out the way and drive. I hate using the paddles to change gear, I change gear with a clutch and a gear stick not a little switch behind the steering wheel ! :paranoid: I always end up in either to high a gear or the car prevents me from exploding the engine by trying to select 2nd at 50 mph. :eek:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
My first intro to flappy paddle changing & no clutch was on a full race prepared M4 (The bruisers). I did 13 laps in the car and found gear changing totally alien to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It wasn't my shining moment but there's little point in being over-dramatic.

See above.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts