Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just bought my first Alfa and car 2 weeks ago (156 slespeed 01). Decided she needed a major fixing and got to it, I changed the engine, and some other stuff. The only problem was the electrician couldn't get the coolant temperature gauge to work and did something wrong that stopped the hi fan speed from working also the radiator was blocked. A short drive and she overheated. I could tell by the stalling and shaking engine when turned her off. Hooked up obd2 and Alfa diag and I found the temperature was 130℃. The drive was 5 mins long Incas e anyone is wondering. I unplugged the temperature sensor and the fan started working non stop and cooled the engine off then I unclogged the pipe and radiator was working again but it's in bad condition. I drove her home and the temperature was around 70℃ when I turned the car off again it was shaking hard for a couple of seconds (very similar to stalling shake) this morning warmed her up a bit and when i turned her off again shaking. I have 2 theories 1 damaged crankshaft and 2 leaky injectors. Any ideas? The car idle's ok and no shaking or weird sounds when turning on or driving only problem is when turning the engine off. Did I do any major damage? Btw she doesn't shake if I turn her off if she's not warm

·
Registered
597 Posts
Not sure what it was, but my car did this after changing the lower turbo hose a while ago. I don't know if it helped or not, but I filled the tank with v-power and it eventually went away.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, well I neither have a turbo in my car nor can offer my hands on v-power in egypt

·
Registered
446 Posts
As you've changed the engine just make sure the engine mounts are in good condition and still screwed up tight. Totally unrelated sh*t can happen coincidentally.
Obviously the hot cold thing would tend to point to something else but worth checking.

Engine shaking when turning off hot but not cold also tends to suggest not crankshaft to me.( plus they take a hell of a lot of force to damage to the extent that it would affect running. Cam belts break, pistons hit valves big ends get a bit squished but crankshaft generally fine).
Does it run-on slightly or just stop but give a little shake. Did you get the temp sensor and fans working B4 you tested the temp with Alfa Diag? if so those results could be unreliable.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it run-on slightly or just stop but give a little shake. Did you get the temp sensor and fans working B4 you tested the temp with Alfa Diag? if so those results could be unreliable.
She just stopps and Shakes hard(again I want to stress no loss of power or change in running noise or starting up). I didn't, my main problem is the wiring, old sensor had 3 pins new sensor and connector 4 so I think my old style wires don't match the 2001 wires in my car and my ecu is mixed up so my coolant gauge stopped working and the fan is acting funny. No faults came up except the lambda sensor which I was running without before this happened and fan 2 circuit open.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Is the engine still shaking after you've turned it off, after the key has been removed?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the engine still shaking after you've turned it off, after the key has been removed?
No it only lasts 2 secs max and stops before I remove my key. An update, I fixed the fan and got the thermostat and radiator working fine. After an 8 km hltragfik heavy drive, she did it again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts