Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I gave the car a really good run for the money.

It was certainly pretty good at overtaking stuff on the straights - and not too bad through the bends. We even managed to slip pass an Aston Martin as well as some other exotic stuff.

In the first photo taken whilst the engine was cooling down a bit - you can just about see the Recaros, which is just about all that is left of the interior. In the second photo, bonnet closed and just about ready to go out on track again....

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
How much weight did you strip from it Edward?

What disks are you using at the front, I see some blue, are they two piece rotors or just painted to protect from corrosion?

Had you done a track day with the car as standard before this?
How much difference did the weight make?

Any onboard footage of your exploits? :)

Glad to see you having some fun!
(nothing to report on my own)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
The Spanish inquisition continues :lol:

Which car was it, the one with the Intrax/AD style coilovers or the FSD's.

It looks little high at the front?
I drop mine at the front by 30mm down from factory height for track days, it makes a huge difference. that looks close enough to standard?
Dampers at the rear on full whack, ay oh ..off to work we go!

Get some pilot sport cups if you will be doing a few days - they last so well on a GTA - Toyos are a bit soft and overheat a little quickly, but cheap and grippy..

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi TB,

Wow - a few questions there...

firstly regarding weight loss, I was in the process of trying to do a table of how much everything weighed - but it became unworkable, as with things like the front and rear seats they are extremely difficult things to put on scales:( . I could do that thing of weighing the item holding it - then minusing my own weight etc...... and then finding some way of weighing carpets ??? and also describing the items individually, as some things do not make sense unless you photograph them. So the plan was to remove everything I do not want in stages - and then weigh the car itself on a weigh bridge. I know it was 1410kg with exactly half a tank of petrol. Weight saving is coming up to a milestone point shortly - so it will be off to the weigh bridge before too long. It should be quite a lot lighter - as just picking up one front seat is a job in itself!

I have sold the interior - but there is still quite a few other bits to come out of the car in the near future - once I get to that point I will let you know what the scales say - with a list of what has come out - or what remains perhaps!

Yep, standard discs painted blue to prevent corrosion. I was looking at bells and rotors but too many £££££'s. Peter was suggesting I may want to swap the interior for a set so you can imagine the price he had in mind!

I have done a standard track day and the weight difference is quite significant in its feel. The car corners and stops so much more quickly. If you picked up just one front seat and then imagined trying to stop the car with a pair of those in it as well as all the other stuff you can't help but notice the difference the car diet has made. Acceleration is improved as well, but I can't imagine you would have too many problems in that department, but all round the car is better, it just feels tighter and flicks through the bends so much more quickly. At C Coombe there are a couple of chicanes and it just flows straight through them with much greater ease than I imagined it would.

Yes, I have some onboard footage - on my camera (mini DV) which I have no idea how to load onto the WWW.

Yes, it was the Intrax one. It had the standard Intrax springs on it :( with the beds wound down as far as they will go - with 220 - 70's on the coilovers. I asked Intrax for a price for something like a pair of 190 - 80's so I could go lower but the price they were after made for :wow: :wow:

That's why I was wondering if you had any spare springs a while ago, but as you said you lent them to Peter.

A question for you know - do you know how to convert metric spring sizes rates into Imperial by chance. If I am after a pair of 190 - 80's, what is that in foot pounds - as most UK providers of springs have not yet converted to metric. Also are the springs 2 1/4 "" or perhaps 2 1/2" there seem to be 2 sizes available generally (for diameter).

The front is not meant to be standard, but until I get some shorter springs I can't get any lower - and I am not going to pay Intrax prices!!

Finally tyres seem to be managing the 2 recent track days well - could be all that reduction in weight :lol: Going to try and do either Cadwell or Silverstone next - as I have done most of the others.

Would really like to do Spa though. I wish now we had gone when we went to Germany.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Hey! The car must be so high off the ground because of all the weight you have removed! :D ;)

I had an old link that I just tracked down after a while. It had a big matrix of conversions for every designation, but it was hosted at hrsprings, and the link is no longer valid.. sorry.
Had a quick look and couldn't find a replacement handy reference.

Online Conversion - Convert just about anything to anything else might be of some help.
There are many similar links.

The standard metrix spring designation of "190-80" means 190mm length, 8Kg/mm.

i.e. 80 is eighty tenths ths of a Kg per mm.

So just convert each component of the designation seperately with a b/in calculator, and 10ths of a Kg/mm calculator and you will have what you need..

To get your footage onto the interweb, just save it onto your computer as "best quality for viewing on computer" if using Windows Movie maker, and upload it to youtube. Its fairly easy, you just need to register for an accounbt. Streetfire.net is also good, perhaps better quality than Youtube.
You will get more hits on youtube though obvioulsy.

Honestly you will be in for such a treat at the next track day if you can get that front lowered. Would you consider snipping them?
Since you have adjustable shocks grounding definitely will not be an issue, and the springs are basically useless to you as they are.

I dont know what diameter springs you have, but yes there are a few different sizes (not many), and its not encoded into the stamped spring designation.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So..... this is my recogning...

8kg per mm for starters....

8kg x 2.2lb = 17.6 lb per mm

17.6 x 25.4 (for mm's to inches) = 447.04.

So if I understand that correctly I need 450lb springs, and they are 21/4" springs as I went and checked earlier. Doh - I saw some exactly like that a couple of weeks ago on ebay. They went for about a fiver :rolleyes:

7" springs would be about 180mm.

I hope my maths / conversion is correct.

As you mention it did cross my mind to cut the ones down that I have but then they are probably ruined for any further use after that. I was a bit nervous about putting heat into them with cutting them. You can buy springs made to order pretty cheaply off the web.

I still have got about an inch of available thread on the rears.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey edward,

some nice car you have there! My own 156 GTA is quite heavily modified by now, and I have been thinking about replacing at least the driver's seat with a bucket seat. I see you have done that, can you please give me some more info on it?

* Are you using a "sliding undercarriage" so that you can move the seat back and forth, or have you just bolted the seat down? Were there any problems fastening the seat to the car?
* Was there a problem with the width of different bucket seats, does it seem all seats would fit?
* How about the seat belt, is it possible to use the standard seat belt with a bucket seat, or were you forced to add another somehow?
* What about the driver's side air bag in the seat, how did you disconnect that? Is the car happy with that, no warning lights or anything?
* How much lower compared to the standard seat do you sit with the bucket seat?

Thanks,
Fredric

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Fredric,

I have got the Pole Postions in mine as well, but mine are black fabric - not leather.

It was quite involved fitting them as my rails did not match the bolt hole positions - so I made up a plate that bolted up into the seat rails and down into the car. There is one on ebay - but at £105 I thought I would do it myself and spend £105 on beer!

Regarding the airbags there are plugs you can buy from Recaro for £35 but I have now taken mine out as all of the airbags have gone. £20 would do it if you were interested??

I have for the time being kept my standard seatbelts, but you have to unbolt the clips off the side of the seat and bolt it onto the frame of the Recaros, not difficult to do.

It all takes a bit of time but absolutely well worth doing. You would not believe just how heavy even an individual front seat is!

I have pushed the seats as low in the car as I can get, it feels so much better. I can't tell you how much lower it is - but it does feel a lot more sporting. When I get into the wife's or my other GTA occasionally I feel noticeably higher up - which feels a bit weird.

Let me know if I can help further............

E.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks Edward, most helpful!

So you do not have a sliding frame then so that you can slide the seat back and forth?

Sounds good with being lower down with the bucket seat, I think the stock seat is too high even at its lowest position. Then you have the weight saving... This all gets very tempting :)

I will let you know about the Recaro resistor when I have progressed further with this!

Thanks,
Fredric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts