Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that some of the Alfa range have had the hidden rear door handles for some time now - is it an Alfa invention?

·
Registered
494 Posts
All started with the 156 iirc, they wanted a coupe looking saloon.
Now most of the ranges since 147 & Guliettia have them.

Also many other car makers following suit.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All started with the 156 iirc, they wanted a coupe looking saloon.
Now most of the ranges since 147 & Guliettia have them.

Also many other car makers following suit.
Yeah I noticed that some cars have copied this approach to rear door handles - it's a great idea but I wanted to make sure I could give Alfa credit for it.

·
Registered
35,724 Posts
Walter daSilva and Wolfgang Egger took it with them to Seat when VW wanted a "Latin" spotty brand...

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I'm not sure if Alfa properly invented the hidden handles... there's bound to be a car-anorak who will tell you that they were actually first used on the Squire-Henderson Conqueror in 1923... :D but certainly in the recent era, they made an apperance (come-back?) on the Alfa 156.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
TVR Chimaera and Griffith had hidden handles, as did the Honda NSX and Fiat coupe.

All were before the 156, however they were 2 door cars, and the hidden handles were not used to make a 4 door look like a 2 door.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My first Alfa was a 156 and I remember picking my daughter up from school just a few hours after collecting the car. Her first comment on seeing this fabulous example of Alfa engineering in brilliant Alfa red, with a purring V6 engine? You've guessed it - "where are the damn door handles?!"

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had a 156 Sportwagon. On a work night out I was not drinking having my "Wagon" with me. As the night drew to a close, I offered to drop off some of my colleagues on my way home, an offer that was accepted by three of the party. The said work mates filtered out of the venue and approached my car which by now, I had moved closer to the exit. The first passenger got into the front, easy enough, the second tried to get into the back but, inevitably, failed to find the handle. After a few minuets frantically pointing and shouting I had to get out and open the door for her, she sat down in the rear seat and made herself comfortable I’m sure, feeling rather embarrassed. After a couple of minuets, my third and final passenger left the venue and approached my car, a rather attractive lady about my age whom I have to say had not fail to attract my attention on a number of occasions in the past. Not wishing for her to embarrass herself in anyway what-so-ever, I opened my door, stepped out, moved to the rear of the car and stretched out my hand to toward the “hidden handle”. As she further approached I pulled the handle, the door opened with ease; she looked at me and smiled broadly saying a gentle “than you” she slipped gracefully into the black leather upholstery and she too made herself comfortable. At this point it struck me that she had no knowledge of our earlier drama with the hidden door handle as she was retrieving her coat from the venue at the time, she didn’t know I was simply saving her blushes, YES!. ........she thought I was being a “GENTLEMAN” (she was so-so wrong).

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
Are the those the ones that are so well hidden no one can work out how to get in and out of them, and if they do get in they can't figure out how to start them?
Easy to start, just turn the key :D

TVR have buttons under the wing mirrors. Anything Cerbera onwards has a weird starting procedure involving buttons but no keys

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
My Griff had push door release buttons in the cars body just behind the doors rear edge. To get out you had to pull the handle on the console next to gear stick, which also caused some amusement if you had passengers who were unfamiliar with the car.

·
63,489 Posts
The Chimaera has a dial on the centre console that you have to turn to open doesnt it? It operates both doors

·
Registered
38,248 Posts
It does, it is an aluminium knob that you turn one way to open the drivers door and the other to open the passengers.

My dad's Chim was an early model and had push door release buttons in the body. Like the Griff's ones, only round.

·
63,489 Posts
Strange things aren't they

Looked at a Cerbera a couple of weeks ago, it has 2 interior release 'handles'. One electric button in the door and an emergency mechanical release built into the sill. They did think of customers sometimes you see :lol:

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I suppose when the beast burst into flames at the side of the road with melted wiring (and all that glue going up...) they needed a mechanical way to save the pilot.. :D Love TVRs!! :thumbs:

Ralf S.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts