Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would just like to nominate myself for the Dick Head of the week award..

Oil change time..

drained oil and replaced filter..

got distracted by missus and eldest daughter..

topped engine up with new expensive oil..

new expensive oil all over the drive..

forgot to but the bloody sump plug back in..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Reminds me of a time when my mum was unblocking the sink.

Unscrewed u-bend. Put bucket under sink and washed through. Bucket got rtaher full rather quickly and in a panic she pulled it out and poured the lot down the sink.

One very wet floor later...

Bit less expensive and easier to clean up than a drive full of oil though I'd imagine!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Happens, next time after cleaning the drain plug, temporarily fix it to the cam box cover with a blob of white/blue tack near the oil filler neck? ;)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Been there, done that on a bike! I normally put the sump plug on top of the filler cap as a reminder, but this time I didn't. Left it draining while I had my dinner, came back, put a few litres in, nothing showing on the dipstick, another litre in & it started overflowing from the drain pan which was still in place . . .

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
:cheese:
degreaser works well on drive as i discovered when my dirty oil 4litres of, spilt from funnel as I was draining into empty bottle for tip trip....

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Unscrewed u-bend. Put bucket under sink and washed through. Bucket got rtaher full rather quickly and in a panic she pulled it out and poured the lot down the sink.
There are two sorts of people, those that have done that, and those that have done that but wont admit it!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I must say.. that it's good to know that I read a forum that is populated by so many other dickheads..

I feel much better now.. :)

I think the 'bucket and sink' one was the best... and yes I've done it..

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is a way of changing oil by sucking it out the dipstick hole isn't there? So you don't have to remove the sump plug. I believe some garages do it this way. But of course they don't put the oil back in that way!

ETA: http://is.gd/xL8mha

:)

·
Registered
967 Posts
Not as bad - but when I had the 20v jtd, I changed the oil, started it up and within 10 seconds the low oil light came on!! :eek:

I had left the rubber seal from the old oil filter stuck to the engine (in mitigation, you can hardly see the oil filter on a jtd) and the oil pump dumped about 3.5 litres of top notch synthetic oil on my chips!! Fortunately I quickly turned the engine off before it did any damage...

Trying to find 3 litres of oil in the Western Isles of Scotland on a Sunday (everything shut) - when you have a 150 mile drive to do the next morning was fun and games..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
384 Posts
i know someone who didn't screw the oil filter back on properly on a deisel....... replaced the oil etc, started her up sat in the car reading the paper waiting for it to warm up whilst drinking a cup of tea, engine stops (in fact seizes up), oil all over the drive, ended up needing a new engine!

A quick oil change cost about £3500!

:cry:

Wont do that again!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts