Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PH1 TS GTV which I have been having problems with. The injector light is now permanently on, the performance is sluggish until about 5550rpm when it suddenly picks up like a turbo coming on boost and it is drinking fuel at an alarming rate :wow: It had a hole in the downpipe which was obviously effecting the emissions so that was welded up yesterday. Unfortunately the injector light still hasn't gone out and it still behaves like it did before.

Does anyone have diagnostics software which I could hook it up to, to read the fault codes in the Devon/Cornwall area? I don't want to splash on new parts just trying to guess which part is at fault. I'm sure a few beer tokens could be arranged for your help :)

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
871 Posts
Does sound like a maf issue, shame you ae so far away or I would be happy to help

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks anyway mate, I was thinking it's either gonna be the MAF or the Lambda but I don't want to buy either until I know for sure. I think my first port of call is to try cleaning and disconnecting the MAF to see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yes never play sensor roulette it just ends up being expencive, worth trying and to unplug the maf see if it helps, but good luck, and hope you find some diagnostics

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Itacarboy, I currently have an OBD2 - USB Diag cable which I use to connect to the ECU on my Corrado. Would I need to buy a 3 pin - OBD2 cable and connect that to my existing OBD2 cable in order for it to read the ECU in my Alfa?

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you disconnect the maf how does the car run?

Your light will stay on, but if the car runs fine then the Maf is faulty.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Well, as your car is a phase 1 you must have the obd ( 3pin) so if you buy the adaptor, I can send you some software that could help you out,

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, I disconnected the MAF and started the car. It ran worse and spluttery. I also cleaned the MAF out with contact cleaner and replaced the air filter. No noticable change after. I then reset the ECU for an hour and connected it back up. The injector light is still on, so I think that concludes that my lambda probe is shot.

Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a geniune lambda? I'm going to do a 400 mile round trip next weekend and I don't fancy paying twice the price just for fuel!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I would get an adaptor and read faults, it could be all sorts that can give you same symtoms,

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately I don't have the time to buy an adaptor. Do you know if it's possible to wire up the 3pin port unto the OBD lead? The OBD lead has 5 pins.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do you have a multi meter?

As you should be able to meter it out on ohm's.

It should be about 11 ohms

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help guys. Well today I managed to connect it up to Unidiag KWP71 and here are the results:

Read diagnostic faultcodes :
Bytes received: 08 71 17 1A 0A
DTC: 0x08 = 8
state : 3
type : 0x11 unknown
condition1 : 0x17
condition2 : 0x1A
counter : 0x0A

Does anyone know what fault this is? Looking at the Lambda sensor voltage it didn't really change value at all. It stayed around 500 mV could this actually conclude that the Lambda is dying? I don't really want to have to spend over £50 on Alfadiag just to read one fault.

·
Registered
871 Posts
well the lambda should switch all the time, so if its staying on 500mv then i would say thats ur problem,

but a needle volt meter is the best way because the digi's wont read fast enough

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what I would have thought. I know when I viewed the lambda values on my Corrado using Vag-Com the value fluctuated constantly. Even when I refreshed the value, it never changed, that's including reving the engine so that it wasn't just reading the value on idle.

I don't think the lambda is completely dead but it is slowly dying by not being able to adjust it's voltage fast enough. That would explain why when I floor engine there is a delay and suddenly it takes off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi
I must be thick so maybe i wont try this !!!
i have downloaded the software but where does it all connect to
told you i was thick haha
Regarads G

1 - 19 of 19 Posts