Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
My 156 has developed a couple of engine management faults as diagnosed at my local garage.
I am aware of Alfadiag being the best one to go for, but does anyone know of a freeware diagnostic as I'm on a tight budget currently?
Thanks,
Paul.:confused:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
There is one called fiatecuscan. Someone posted a link. Do a search, I would but on mobile ro can't copy and paste links.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FiatECUScan is the way forward my friend, I spent over an hr trying to connect and turn off my Airbag light with UniDiag, got all the way to the fault, cleared the fault...OK, didn't turn off the light, this was after about 10 attempts at just connecting in the first place...

...used FiatECUScan, connected first time, diagnosed the issue (in layman "plain" English) rather than just hex codes and turned off the light first time, very good I'd say, and it's free.

For anyone looking to hook their cars up and fix stuff (esp stuff like the Airbag light which seems to plague people) this is a good bit of software, the cables are a piece of cake to solder too, just get a £9 cable off eBay and bridge pin 7 to 3...and 1 if you want ABS stuff.

Enjoy

DT

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
a word of warning ! I have reset many airbag faults but every now an then the light returns (and the fault) it was caused by a broken crash sensor only a new one (200 quid !) or one from a breaker (30 quid) will cure the fault. Also soldering the connections under the seat is a good idea !

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All,
Anyone know what cable you buy for Fiat ECU Scanner - Fiat/Alfa/Lancia ECU Reader? ... or, ideally how to make one?
My soldering iron is at the ready.

Thanks,

Paul.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, another question - How do I find out what ECU make/type I have as I've downloaded the software and this is the first thing it asks for?

·
Registered
50 Posts
evening,
just like yourself i downloaded the fiatecu scan, i read alot about the cables and software and the ecu's im still yet to figure out my type of ecu. if i cant figure out which one mine is im just gonna try each one, as i see it each ecu specified isnt going to be too disimilar as they are all bosch. same with the selespeed ecu no idea which one to use. next to most bosch ecu stated it has abs i think this is just abs/vdc faults.
i think what your wanting to use is :
BOSCH MOTRONIC Me7.3.1 EOBD injection
im going to use ecuscan for the mcsf light and re calibrating the selespeed after a bleed.
your thoughts?

p.s this is the cable i bought

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAG-COM-USB-OBD2-KKL-Interface-VW-Audi-car-diagnostic_W0QQitemZ280472494769QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item414d76a2b1#ht_2255wt_1350

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you've got a serial connection on your laptop I'd recommend the serial KKL cable. Means you don't need to struggle with installing drivers for "a cable" ???? WTF? They're also cheaper.

Anyway, check out the supported vehicles section of the site to see if your model is there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
evening,
just like yourself i downloaded the fiatecu scan, i read alot about the cables and software and the ecu's im still yet to figure out my type of ecu. if i cant figure out which one mine is im just gonna try each one, as i see it each ecu specified isnt going to be too disimilar as they are all bosch. same with the selespeed ecu no idea which one to use. next to most bosch ecu stated it has abs i think this is just abs/vdc faults.
i think what your wanting to use is :
BOSCH MOTRONIC Me7.3.1 EOBD injection
im going to use ecuscan for the mcsf light and re calibrating the selespeed after a bleed.
your thoughts?

p.s this is the cable i bought

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAG-COM-USB-OBD2-KKL-Interface-VW-Audi-car-diagnostic_W0QQitemZ280472494769QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item414d76a2b1#ht_2255wt_1350

Hi,
Can i buy this cable and with the software do the diagnostic of my Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed?

Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
thats pretty much what im hoping to do on my 2002 147 selespeed ts,

just download the software first and check it out before buyin the cables

·
Registered
50 Posts
nice!

keep me posted with your progress and i will tell you mine, then were can share hints/tips.

after reading alot of posts it seems you have to modify these cables to reset the ABS and the Airbag light. its a common thing and pretty straight forward. im not lookin to do this purely the engine ECU and the selespeed ECU after bleeding the system.

fingers crossed! ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Which operating system do these diagnostics programs run best with. I've tried both unidiag and alfadiag under vista with no success at all. I bought a vag cable off ebay, so believ that I have the correct cable.

I could try running under xp if anyone thinks it will help. thanks

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
FiatECUScan is very easy to use. I have an OBDII cable with pins 1,3,7 connected. Running Vista, setup the USB as per 'how to use' page. Connect the cable to the ECU port, run FiatECU, select the com port for your USB cable and select your vehicle from the menu. Turn on the ignition to MAR and click connect.

I reset my airbag light directly from here, it wouldnt do it the first time but I disconnected the airbag connector under the passenger seat, reconnected it again. Ran FiatECU and cleared the airbag error straight away.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I shipped modified and tested cables to many AO members, they all gave me very good feedback, and in case of problems : money back...no problem
and yes, they work with Unidiag, Fiatecuscan, Alfadiag, Examiner....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts