Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's amazing how in the 60's detroit was a massive boom town for the Motor industry, and connected to that was Mo-town music era etc. and now, Detroit is a wrecked shell and has filed for bankruptcy.
No-one and No where is immune.
I was trying to think of that Pillocks name who nearly (with his cronies) bankrupted Liverpool.
But I have been looking at some recent pics Of the now Detroit on another forum and it is positively ruined.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Derek Hatton?

Worringly, what happens stateside today often happens here tomorrow, things like privatisation of various industries, the increasing reliance upon private medical insurance Etc. We have already seen one or two health trusts overspend!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Hatton! What a complete clown.
Many of the buildings in Detroit are reduced to a shell now, mind you if the councils continue to council tax town centre shops until they have strangled them to death, our town centres will go the same way.

·
Registered
33,137 Posts
There's an article on alfablog NL with pictures of Detroit and Turin , the latter showing the former Ghia studio derelict by the rail tracks. When I was in Torino a couple of weeks ago there did not appear to be as much of a rush hour as a few years ago and taxi drivers all want to tell you that it used to exist for Fiat.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Bad handling of bad situations. I come from a country which could soon be on the verge of bankruptcy. The whole country... That's scarier than Detroit city going to the wall.. But if you have monkeys at the helm get ready for some monkey business...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
i was listening to an article on Radio 4 about this the other day..apparently in debt to the tune of $19 BILLION.
To put that into perspective, my city council is panicking over a £3 million deficit.

I cant comprehend how any city council can get into that much debt, but according to several interviewees, there has been a steady and considerable decline in population for quite some time - mainly due to loss of industry, local govt corruption and a massive rise in crime (especially violent crime).

one commentator reckoned that several wealthy benefactors are forming a conglomerate to try and restore the city, but without central funding, i can see it taking quite more than a few years/decades.

it's a shame, but it sounds like the problems were, in the main, self inflicted

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Bad handling of bad situations. I come from a country which could soon be on the verge of bankruptcy. The whole country... That's scarier than Detroit city going to the wall.. But if you have monkeys at the helm get ready for some monkey business...:rolleyes:
Very true, there are a good few bankrupt, or nearly so, countries out there apart from Greece, Italy, Cyprus many African countries. I am sure there are a few more closer to home but wont list them just in case. It's scary to think the sort of mess people we should be able to trust can get us into to.

We, UK, owe squillions, as does USA and many many more besides. What on earth would happen if every nation called it's debts in, is it real money, were has it gone....where will it all end?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
..............We, UK, owe squillions, as does USA and many many more besides. What on earth would happen if every nation called it's debts in, is it real money, were has it gone....where will it all end?
Capitalism just can't shake off this flu..
I feel that the system we live in is being seriously challenged by one of the most basic human faults. Greed.
It happened to communism, and we shrugged that off as a bad experiment of a social system. Now we are being made to see the gaping holes in our system, which some call democracy ( I call it capitalism). True democracy may have been started by the Greeks many many moons ago, but somewhere along the line it got in bed with money/power/greed.. And the rest is ,,, well,, a historical orgy.
So many freedoms and so many rights have in a few swoops been brushed aside, because the system is now more important than the people in it.
Lets see how it's all gonna unfold...

*If I sound bitter about all this, I am.

·
Premium Member
77,203 Posts
Capitalism just can't shake off this flu..
I feel that the system we live in is being seriously challenged by one of the most basic human faults. Greed.
It happened to communism, and we shrugged that off as a bad experiment of a social system. Now we are being made to see the gaping holes in our system, which some call democracy ( I call it capitalism). True democracy may have been started by the Greeks many many moons ago, but somewhere along the line it got in bed with money/power/greed.. And the rest is ,,, well,, a historical orgy.
So many freedoms and so many rights have in a few swoops been brushed aside, because the system is now more important than the people in it.
Lets see how it's all gonna unfold...

*If I sound bitter about all this, I am.
And rightly so. You've hit the nail on the head.

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
The problem isn't capitalism per se, its spending money you haven't got. We see the problem all the time, every day. People borrow money they can afford to repay, circumstances change and they can no longer afford to repay it. There begins a cycle where you borrow from peter to pay paul, the amount you owe continues to increase until it all comes crashing down. This in turn means the people you owe money to can no longer service their debts.. Round and round the carousel turns.

·
Registered
11,151 Posts
The problem is greed.
Uncontrolled capitalism fuelled by greed resulting in exploitation.
Many are put in a position where they have no choice but to get into debt in order to survive.
Modern capitalism seems to REQUIRE that every drop of profit is squeezed from every part of every business (with the exception of the remuneration of those in charge, of course!)

·
Registered
33,137 Posts
The pension costs and general inability of "first world " workers to compete with auto workers in less established countries contributed to the woes of Detroit . Those from the big three walked from jobs to work with half the pay at Toyota.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts