Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys...

as a few of you have been waiting or know, i bought the 8C wheels from EB Spares, then discovered they would not fit over the V6 brembo brakes...ok.

I then purchased the 20mm Eibach Spacer kit direct from Eibach, but it did not come with 40mm bolts.... tried to fit the standard 30mm bolts, they were not long enough to hold the wheel in place.

I received my 40mm bolts today....and im really getting frustrated at this...

a. The bolts seem to jam the hub from turning when they are screwed into the hub, as they come through the back!!
b. With the bolts screwed right into the hub (even though i know it wont turn) the wheels wiggle about on the bolts....its as if the are not long enough, but the hub wont allow them to go in anymore!!!

AAARGGHHH

its defo the same bolts as standard except 10mm longer, i had to order them specially so needed all the spec..

i need help from any of you guys that have fitted eibach 10mm spacers on a V6 to tell me whats going on!!

thanks so much:eek:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Does the wheel spacer fit properly onto the inside of the wheel?

It could be there is a slight difference in the angle at the base of the hubcentric bit of the spacer and the wheel might be flat on the hub flange (not easy to explain ) - I had this on mine

Also you can cut the bolts down to the correct length when you get everything lined up

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pascs, ill check that now....
if so, what was your solution?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I just had to file a little bit off the inside of the wheel where the hub normally fits - one of the types of wheel I used this was almost a 90deg edge, the other wheels I had this area was chamfered down a few mm

My spacers were 10mm wide and I assumed they needed this extra area around the hub flange for added strength

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Also check that the spacers fit correctly over the hub on the car and sit flat

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spacers fits totally flush on the inside of the wheel....it also fits totally flush on the hub

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
these wheels have a 45gdegree angle on the inside, the spacer as you can see is flat on the outside, but has the same 45degree on the inside

·
Registered
275 Posts
Using these ( URL... ) 12mm from Novitec with 42mm bolts with OZ wheels. No problems. As for the center, if you need to take off a bit, it's recomended that it's done on lathe.
When making screws shorter, any method is good, just remeber, screws need to screw in 1.2-1.5 of its diameter.
GTV wheel bolts are M12x1.25 .

·
Administrator
86,631 Posts
I received my 40mm bolts today....and im really getting frustrated at this...

a. The bolts seem to jam the hub from turning when they are screwed into the hub, as they come through the back!!

I presume the studs are slightly too long so ( just my theory :) )

b. With the bolts screwed right into the hub (even though i know it wont turn) the wheels wiggle about on the bolts....its as if the are not long enough, but the hub wont allow them to go in anymore!!!

I think the wheels are wiggling around because as the bolts are too long they cannot tighten enough to clamp the wheels against the hub ( just my theory :) )
Hope this helps but as said above this is only my theory :)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Have just thought the same thing

- do you mean that you cant screw the bolts in any further because they are hitting the hub but the wheel is still not tightened up?

20mm spacer kit ? is that 2x10mm wide spacers

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, the bolts will not go in any further into the hub, they are pretruding out the back causing the hub to jam....

i suspected that the wheels may be indeed wobbling as they have not been tightened up against the hub...

but surely if i fitted 10mm spacers, i need 10mm longer bolts?

or am i going nuts (pun intended)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

- do you mean that you cant screw the bolts in any further because they are hitting the hub but the wheel is still not tightened up?

20mm spacer kit ? is that 2x10mm wide spacers
yes thats 2x10mm spacers mate

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

no i mean i cant screw the bolts in any further because its as tight as a flies muff and they are fully screwed in, and they are sticking out the back.
:confused:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I'm guessing the original GTV wheels are a different thickness than the new ones. GTV does already use longer bolts than a standard 156.

The 156 bolt has about 23mm of thread and when using 10mm spacers you'd need say 35mm bolts - this is for a 156 using 156 wheels, maybe the GTV will need the same ??

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm guessing the original GTV wheels are a different thickness than the new ones. GTV does already use longer bolts than a standard 156.

The 156 bolt has about 23mm of thread and when using 10mm spacers you'd need say 35mm bolts - this is for a 156 using 156 wheels, maybe the GTV will need the same ??

aaaah!!

well, the wheels on my car were not standard, they were zender challenge.....and the thread on them is 30mm...

so maybe the bolts i have already from my old wheels are longer already!!!

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
You've only tried this on the front? are you able to try one on the rear, I think there is more clearance behind the hub on the rear so the bolt should be able to be tightened up without hitting anything behind

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im gonna check the back tomorrow, thanks for the help so far guys, brilliant....im fearing that the bolts may indeed be 5mm too long

ill update tomorrow!

thanks so much

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
At least the bolts are easier to cut down than to make longer :p

1 - 20 of 81 Posts