Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 2.5 Sportronic has developed a worrying new noise. It comes from the the front o/s and is a "clonk-clonk-clonk" sound when accelerating from low speed, and the same when letting off. Almost like it takes up the strain and then releases it. Doesn't do it always. I don't think it's a driveshaft, but i could be wrong. If it's the auto box, i'm stuffed, i assume. 156,000 miles and everything else is perfect. Recently, when pulling away from a tight uphill junction, the 'box decided to drop from 2nd to 1st, as it does when you use heavy throttle
from standing start, and there was an ALMIGHTY bang like i'd been hit by another car. Seemed to be the gear engaging early / late while under load and facing uphill with wheel turned sharp left. Worked fine untill this new noise today. Gearbox light did come on a week ago, but then went away. Have never had gearbox oil changed.

Any ideas? Is it scrapyard time?:mad:

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,506 Posts
Possible inner or outer cv joint. have you been under the car to check for anything loose yet?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..engine mounts would be worth checking as well..? The top one wears quickly enough, but a failure of the lower ones could leave the engine sitting on the subframe.. the "clonk" you'd hear is the engine hitting the subframe as it moves under acceleration or deceleration.. at least that's what happened on one of my V6 164s.

(drop links also make an awful racket when they're gone, or anti-roll bar bushes..? )

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The top mount is only a year old, so it's not that, but good shout. The sound is hard to describe, but it repeats about 3 - 4 times per second, so it's definitely associated with a revolving part. Will get underneath and grab at the driveshafts and see if there is play. I take it that would be where a worn cv joint would show itself?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drive shafts on both sides seem ok, that is their boots are not broken and both seem tight. You can wiggle them up and down their length about 1mm. Is that normal? BUt, if you grab the whole o/s wheel, the problem side in this case, you can feel it give slightly as if it's loose on the hub assembly. The n/s doesn't budge a mm. Have had the wheel off, look around and can't see anything obvious. Wheel nuts were done up solid, btw. Drove 150 miles yesterday, it doesn't seem worse. Could be a garage visit!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts