Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a 147 years ago. I am in the market for a new car, comparing the usual suspects - A class, BMW1 and A3.

First garage visit was the local Alfa dealer - I did not get the car I walked in for, but had a cracking deal on the Business Edition Silver 1.6 diesel model which has everything I wanted plus more, apart from not having the leather seats, but at a £5K saving I can live with that! It is a pre-reg, last of the old before the new facelift on a 16 plate.

Could be a couple of weeks until I pick it up as deliveries usually only happen on a Saturday apparently, but will be lurking in the meanwhile eagerly anticipating my new ride!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am indeed hoping it will go... Had a pretty interesting experience with my 147, but I am hoping the greatly improved build quality is indeed as good as is claimed!
absolutely, the build tightness of the new G's is good. No creeks or rattles. That being said, the 147 does have it's charms and different character.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
my old 147 jtd was the best car I've ever owned, I now have a G and its good but not the same when pushed, you can't switch off the ESP etc

·
Registered
224 Posts
my old 147 jtd was the best car I've ever owned, I now have a G and its good but not the same when pushed, you can't switch off the ESP etc
I think we are in the same boat here. my old 147 jtdm was the best car I ever owned. The pulling force at 2000rpm was superb. the diesel engine never needed to be revved up to get it to lose traction. The best thing about the old JTDm engine was economy. Even with aggressive acceleration in city driving, the car would do 7l/100km. On the open road, 6th gear was able to be used for cruising, effortless overtaking, and accelerating up hills! Now with my GQV TCT, to get closer to that economy figure, I have to be exceptionally gentle on the accelerator pedal. Then suddenly if I put my foot down the car goes from a slow slumber to a ballistic missile and accelerates like there is no tomorrow. There seems to be not so much a middle acceleration and so my new GQV reminds me of my younger days when Honda made superb DOHC v-tec engines.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Collected her earlier than I hoped for on Saturday!

Loving it. Love the DNA, and the way it handles on the Cheshire lanes. Motorway – limited to around 75 until she gets broken in, but it was really hard to keep to that – it drives so well with just over 2K RPM purring gently.

Couple of niggles – main one is the lack of space for the left leg and no clutch foot rest. Also hard to read the speedo due to the steering wheel being in the way! U-connect is nowhere near as good as my Garmin as it does not seem to offer the live traffic and detour options. Fold-in mirrors are not tagged to the key like my Ford was – need to remember to move them in and out before removing ignition. What is all that about? Also cannot find a travel mug that fits into the expresso sized cup holders!

Overall loving the car, but hoping I get used to the interesting driving position! Cant wait until I have done a couple of K so more bedded in and able to stretch her legs a little more. Which is more than can be said for my legs!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Overall loving the car, but hoping I get used to the interesting driving position!
I had the same issue until I discovered that sitting high, with nearly straight legs and a more upright back solved it for me - you also get to see the speedo once column is adjusted!

You should find you can close the mirrors a short time after removing key. There are many times in which it is pointless closing them anyway but I'm so paranoid about protecting mine from car park dents (even on a 5.5 year) I take every measure I can to protect the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will try the seat adjustment and see how I get on. Just the cup holder problem to sort out now.. (Will post a fresh post for my UConnect challenge!)

I have to say that when I stop to let cars through when cars are parked on the roadside that in my last car nobody bothered to thank me. Now I have a beautiful front, everyone has smiled and given me a cheery wave!

Do fellow alfisti’s wave at each other? Just checking as there are some lovely ladies in Mito’s round my way and don’t want to get a reputation.

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase fella :thumbs:

and yes, wave like a loon at fellow alfisti owners :D

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
the cupholders are actually my sunglassess holder....
I must admit they are pretty useless. The one's in the doors don't exist and those in the central consul stop you from changing gear (either that or fly out when cornering fast!).

The cooled drinks holder does sort of make up for it slightly (impresses passengers anyway!)

That's for the 2010 models and not sure if anything has changed since ?

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
There was a gulp version for the Dodge Dart which could have gone into the Giulietta. I don't have a problem with a lack of cup holders as nobody eats or drinks in my car. The two things are mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
There was a gulp version for the Dodge Dart which could have gone into the Giulietta. I don't have a problem with a lack of cup holders as nobody eats or drinks in my car. The two things are mutually exclusive.
Food I agree on but can't see you manage long journeys in the summer :confused:

I find a drink supply pretty much essential (and the same when I'm walking 15 miles or more)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts