Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening fellow petrolheads...

I searched this forum a few times and have failed to find a definative answer on whether the Dension Gateway 300 will work with the standard alfa 159 head unit?

Products

I've emailed dension but haven't heard anything back yet.

A few question:
1. Has anyone fitted the gateway 100 or 300 to an alfa 159 and does it definately work?
2. Does it work via the usb connection or only through the auxilliary?
3. If it works though usb can it play aac and allow steering wheel control to skip tracks etc
4. Are the playlist limited to 99 songs or can you select a playlist with all the songs on ipod?
5. Has anyone fitted the bluetooth module and does it work?
6. Is there a specific gatway 300 to order for the 159, do you order the one for the 147, 156, Gt or are they all the same
7. I had one more question but iv'e forgotten......:D

I know it's a lot of question but i just want to make sure it works before i order one, if anyone can even answer Q1 i'll be happy, thanks guys.

BTW, what is it about alfa's that make you want to get up early and go for a long drive on a cold winter morning??

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The Gateway 300 did NOT work on my 07 Spider with the STD unit.

Nobody could understand as it is supposed to be compatible.

As such a techie from Denison came out to the installers and came to the conclusion that there was something amiss with the HU, but didnt know what.

So therefore I have to say there is no guarantee :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
****e, that's a disappointment.......
hmmm......did dension seem to think it was compatible with the 159?

I remember reading your post and it worked for a while didn't it, but thenno CD source or something similar came up.....

Any one else get this or the gateway 100 working with the 159?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
It was a weird problem, we managed to get it working once or twice, but as soon as you went to change tracks it went haywire and froze up.

We tried different IPODS and different Gateway units, all with the same problem.

My gut feeling is that it would work in yours, I think mine was a weird one-off problem...... but you never know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't know if you are still considering this. I have the Gateway 300 with BT. It all works fine as far as I can tell.

You will need to get the Alfa specific Gateway 300, not 159 which is fitted directly into the CD Changer port on the back of the stereo.

I haven't used the USB connector other than for firmware upgrades, but the BT works and the IPOD is very good, and works with steering controls.

Some of the config is messy because you need to skip tracks then ff, which often goes wrong with them being the same button

·
Registered
144 Posts
How does the BT unit work? ie what happens when you get a call, is there a seperate mic to install?

Nick, what do you mean by the config is messy and you have to ff a track when you skip to the next?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The BT Unit works great if you are using the IPOD connection because it mutes the player and flashes hello on the Radio display. Then it is just a case of pressing the ff button to answer the call. Once the call disconnects the IPOD resumes playing. There is a seperate mic which I managed to hide quite easily by running it from behind the stereo, under the steering wheel, into the fuse box area, behind the side panel, up the A pillar, across the top of the windscreen, and out near the rear view mirror. The sound quality is fine.
Config is messy only because to configure the unit you sometimes need to press fast forward, but it is quite easy to skip a track instead of hold the ff. This is only when you are first setting it up, not during normal use.
I can't recall what happens when an incoming call happens when listening to the radio, but I think before you can answer you must choose autochanger, CD5, track 5 or something similar to answer the call.
The dension does not pair with my Blackberry, but does pair with my HTC Touch HD for both music and hands free.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks Nick.. I ended up buying one last week, and I think it is pretty complicated to use.. Not to bad once you get your head around choosing CD6 to choose playlists, and leaving it 30 seconds before you skip tracks, else you will skip playlists. but for some reason, when i get in the car, it resumes the last track is was playing, but after a few seconds will skip to a different one.

Also, does ID3 tagging work? My friend who had a Dension in his Mini said he had to set this up on the ipod, but on my ipod I dont see any menu, just a Dension logo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts