Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hi Frase,

Just been listening to the news and it seems Kent is going to be the new Cote D'azur. I can't wait, the property prices have been taking a hammering recently.

missed me ?

N

·
0 Posts
Hi Frase,

Just been listening to the news and it seems Kent is going to be the new Cote D'azur.
I doubt that very much. :p

It's one thing to have a change in climate, another entirely to change the local population into a
parade of pouting babes.

;)

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Just getting my smoking jacket and slippers - this is gonna be fun :thumbs:

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
:corn::corn::corn:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I haven't clicked on any of the findings yet - I'm still trying to work out what angle this organization would be coming from.

They are funded by the government - so I assume they will be "pro" any findings which could eventually be turned into tax generation schemes, and "anti" any findings which might jeopardise the ability to raise taxes.

So - I'm just guessing here - but they'll probably not be keen to show findings which require government investment in climate related social programmes BUT they will be pro any findings which show that we should be taxed for recycling programmes and energy inefficiency (domestic and commercial)

I'm now going to read it and see what sort of idiot I am.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I haven't clicked on any of the findings yet - I'm still trying to work out what angle this organization would be coming from.

They are funded by the government - so I assume they will be "pro" any findings which could eventually be turned into tax generation schemes, and "anti" any findings which might jeopardise the ability to raise taxes.

So - I'm just guessing here - but they'll probably not be keen to show findings which require government investment in climate related social programmes BUT they will be pro any findings which show that we should be taxed for recycling programmes and energy inefficiency (domestic and commercial)

I'm now going to read it and see what sort of idiot I am.
Exactly right Fred, something the 'Climate Change' lobby seem to omit from any reports is that we are on our way out of an ice age and so yes....temps are rising as are sea levels....as little as 14K years ago the sea level was 100m below what it is now, infact once upon a time we (UK) werent an island, the channel was infact dry land as was a lot of the north sea :thumbs:

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You see, nothing unusual here. As a matter of fact the report is very balanced, pointing out the absence of trends in some areas, but I wouldn't expect the deniers to read it and notice that anyway, because they've already made up their minds. Besides, what value is scientific evidence anyway when you can just dismiss it as conspiracy?:p

And DT - yes I did miss you:D

@Nev - maybe all the pouting babes will move from the Cote D'azure to Brighton.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
You see, nothing unusual here. As a matter of fact the report is very balanced, pointing out the absence of trends in some areas, but I wouldn't expect the deniers to read it and notice that anyway, because they've already made up their minds:p

And DT - yes I did miss you:D

@Nev - maybe all the pouting babes will move from the Cote D'azure to Brighton.
I wasnt referring to the report you posted, just a general comment:p

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Is the rise in sea level, in cms or feet. I'm only asking cos I live near a river and was thinking about a pool. It would be a shame to shell out if all I have to build is a jetty.:)

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is the rise in sea level, in cms or feet. I'm only asking cos I live near a river and was thinking about a pool. It would be a shame to shell out if all I have to build is a jetty.:)
You get the double whammy of rising sea levels and isostatic change, since the south of England is actually sinking anyway, so you should get away with a jetty. Just build it off your house at eves level and you should be fine:lol:

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Ok I was reading something about mammoths (trying to find it again) and in it there was a statement that 14000 years ago the sea level was 100m lower than it is now.....so that would be an increase of about 7mm per year....and to quote this report

Global sea-level rise has accelerated between mid-19th century and mid-20th century, and is now about 3mm per year. It is likely (>90% probability, IPCC) that human activities have contributed between a quarter and a half of the rise in the last half of the 20th century.
so sea levels are infact rising slower than before the whole pollutions/carbon emissions deal....Kind of kills the whole 'We are causing the sea level to rise argument'

Oh and all the figure in that report seem to come from IPCC who are run by UNEP so I would imagine the results to lean heavily towards 'climate change is killing us' otherwise these organisations wouldnt be able to justify their own existance

edit: Uneps own mission statement
To provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so sea levels are infact rising slower than before the whole pollutions/carbon emissions deal....Kind of kills the whole 'We are causing the sea level to rise argument'
No it doesn't, just because they rose before doesn't mean the underlying cause is different this time.

Anyway, with regard to the report here's a note of caution.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts