Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

My CD player is driving me to distraction.. having driven up to lincolnshire this weekend i found that after an hour or so it just starts to reject disks and show NO CD in the display.

I've now also tried to directly connect my iphone to the ICS via the CD phono connection, which worked okay other than a weak signal.. but as soon as you drive over a bump the CD skips and takes out the sound from my iphone..

So it seems the only solution is loudlink.. have read some negative stuff on here. but would welcome comments from anyone who's gone down this route and are happy. must be better than the crap CD player by Becker??

Ciao - JK

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Build an emulator..?!
Okay i have time and energy to polish my inlet pipes but I'm not that geek :)
Hence Loudlink would be a better bet for me?
Only prob is that its management software only works on windows... no mac client :( Will have to boot camp just for Loudlink....

·
Registered
404 Posts
i don't think you need to use the software - just copy the mp3s into the required folder and away you go. Maybe i should brush up on my electronics and start building emus :D
That's right, just create the folders on the mem card, CD1, etc.

I have a Mac and a loudlink too - we r a PC-free zone....

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Had a touchy CD player in mine. Bought a Loudlink. Happy with it. Bit of a pain to install given a boot full of satnav & cd but otherwise fine. Had some quality issues with some iffy MP3 files but most are perfectly fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sort of got fed up with the CD's in themselves.
Using an iPod classic in my 1750 GTV so i've been looking for a nice solution for the 166 too.
As my 166 is a 99, the sound system is made by Becker, and there's no really good way to get the iPod connected to the ICS. So i opted for the next best thing. The other day i got this little Belkin radio transmitter and it really works well. iPod connector (charging while in the car) and an extra 3.5mm input if you use something else. Push one button on the Belkin device and it scans for free freqs and tells you which to use. It also send the title as RDS, so it shows up in the ICS. I know that the loudlink is very good, but i really want to use all 120Gb of my iPod ;)

Of course it fits an iPhone too :)
Take a look at it here:

Belkin : TuneCast® Auto with ClearScan for iPhone and iPod

/Stefan

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
I sort of got fed up with the CD's in themselves.
Using an iPod classic in my 1750 GTV so i've been looking for a nice solution for the 166 too.
As my 166 is a 99, the sound system is made by Becker, and there's no really good way to get the iPod connected to the ICS. So i opted for the next best thing. The other day i got this little Belkin radio transmitter and it really works well. iPod connector (charging while in the car) and an extra 3.5mm input if you use something else. Push one button on the Belkin device and it scans for free freqs and tells you which to use. It also send the title as RDS, so it shows up in the ICS. I know that the loudlink is very good, but i really want to use all 120Gb of my iPod ;)

Of course it fits an iPhone too :)
Take a look at it here:

Belkin : TuneCast® Auto with ClearScan for iPhone and iPod

/Stefan
excellent first post stefan.Welcome to the 166 club hope you stick around and dont have too many problems.
Pomeo

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi
Interestingly i also got one of those clearscan or griffin with RDS info of track names.. only problem is that in london there are no free FM frequencies and it just doesn't work....
For attachement to loudlink i might try the Griffin tune flex aux holder which charges and holds the iphone/ipod on one of those swannecks.. would rather an ipod dock built in but there is no easy place for this other than the upper dash pocket which obviously has problems with its catch!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
That's a decent solution for most cases...but I don't have an IPod ;) Using RDS for track names is an excellent feature.

I like the ICS integration with the loudlink and the tidy installation, but I can see how having to set up yet another music library would be a PITA if you've already got one.

I did try an FM MP3 player thingy a while back but found the quality really poor. Then again, it was only £5 :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that its another library to maintain, but with the loudlink aux you have the option of keeping your fav tracks on the SD card and using your ipod/iphone as well which is easier to work with in itunes.... I think i've gonna have to make the jump :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
excellent first post stefan.Welcome to the 166 club hope you stick around and dont have too many problems.
Pomeo
Thanks :) I just had my 166 for 2 weeks, and so far the only thing that have come up is "Air Cond faulty", but it still humms along fine ;) Alfas..... what can you say?
Otherwise i'm very very happy with it. I'm actually thinking of letting the wife take the 1750 to work, so i can drive the 166 instead :lol:

Hi
Interestingly i also got one of those clearscan or griffin with RDS info of track names.. only problem is that in london there are no free FM frequencies and it just doesn't work....
For attachement to loudlink i might try the Griffin tune flex aux holder which charges and holds the iphone/ipod on one of those swannecks.. would rather an ipod dock built in but there is no easy place for this other than the upper dash pocket which obviously has problems with its catch!
Don't know if this could help. It's still an "radio" solution, but as it connects directly to the aerial line, it should drown the normal signals... also carries an 3.5 mm AUX input..

Dension: ice>Link ONE

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that its another library to maintain, but with the loudlink aux you have the option of keeping your fav tracks on the SD card and using your ipod/iphone as well which is easier to work with in itunes.... I think i've gonna have to make the jump :)
True! Only thing i dont like about it, is to have that looong AUX-wiring back to the trunk and the Loudlink. In my 1750 i use that kind of setup. I got an amp in the trunk connected directly to my iPod, and i get a fair amount of noise and hum in that setup. More or less depending on how the cabling is routed..... there seem to be an issue with the iPod touching something that is grounded too.. if that happens it gets REALLY noisy :lol:

/Stefan

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know what you mean stefan am thinking about that big loop of cable fore and aft.. if its a problem you could get another becker cable from loudlink routing that in the cabin straight into the back of ICS... that would reduce the cable runs and give easier access to the loudlink box.. my temp solution (plugging into changer direct and running phono to headphone cable thru the ski hatch) didn't produce any background noise. Will have to give it a try :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts