Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya folks, welcome to my very first post on your most righteous forum!!

Wait a moment, that came out wrong...*Ahem*

Thanks for having me! I actually found this forum a month or 2 ago when we first got our 147, let me just say thanks for all the help you guys have given us so far with our car all unbeknownst to you!

So we got a 2002 147 Selespeed 2.0TS, when we got it, the clutch was shot, so we had it replaced (Thanks for all your help with pinpointing the issue btw), and when we got it back our Selespeed actuator fluid level was low. Once again surfing your forums I ascertained that as an alternative to the probably pricy Alfa-recommended fluid, I could use Dextron III(Mobil?). Upon searching earlier tonight I found that Dextron III was discontinued and that it had been replaced with 4. I couldn't get a lot of info about it, certainly none pertaining to use in a 147, so I bit the bullet and decided that asking you guys directly was probably my best course of action.

To cut a long story short, is Dextron 4 indeed completely safe to use as an alternative to the Dextron 3?

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer me folks. Loving this little car, even though it likes to beep at us quite a bit..Nothing serious just the usual "We probably need to replace the brake switch" and various other Italian electronics issues. I haven't felt so loved or talked to by a vehicle since my last Vespa.. :cheese:

·
Registered
30,365 Posts
I've been using Redline D4 ATF in mine for many many years.
The OEM stuff isn't too expensive though as you don't need much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply David, can you tell me who makes the Redline stuff? I'm in Australia, so I might have to search it out but a manufacturer always makes things a bit easier. Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
30,365 Posts
Redline make Redline.

That is the make.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hi Hammer, Harold from performance lube sells redline in melbourne and will post nationally.

He's very reliable and great prices...

http://performancelub.com

Also, if you'd like some local advice check out ausalfa.com

Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
You might want to check out pricing for the correct Tutela CS speed - I don't think it's much more expensive than other synthetic trans oils. Are you sure it needs topping up? The natural fliud level is pretty much at the bottom of the reservior.

Also, if you want to change you should probably not mix different oils so you'll need to drain what's in there.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hammer, I'm in Brisbane, if you like I can show you the correct alternatives, (you CAN NOT just use any Dextron III or IV fluid) where you can pick em up locally, and how to drain & flush the system.

e-mail me at [email protected]

Oh, like alfa156melb, I'm also over at the ausalfa site too

Baz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts