Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I was thinking of putting a shiny induction doohicky on my GTA but when I looked into it I read that the Helmholtz chamber on the factory system helps to absorb the shock waves coming from the inlet valves and increase the efficiency of the induction system, whereas previously I thought it was there just to reduce the induction noise.

Is this true? If so then deleting it with an aftermarket induction system would reduce engine output which is not what I'm looking for :teacher:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Not sure if you'll notice any difference in power, I didn't.
I fitted a chrome pipe a while back, but reverted back to the standard pipe.
Sure, it looks better, sounds a bit gruffer, but the engine runs far more smoothly with the resonator in place.

Reactions: bobulon

·
Registered
198 Posts
If it does make any difference then it'll be single horsepowers... try it and see what you think. You can always sell it again. I've got a shiny stainless one and I like it.

I'd agree with cobalts comments, the standard induction setup makes the engine seem smoother, but it's a pretty smooth engine anyway so I don't mind!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks will probly stay with stock for now and spend some money on better mods, maybe Cobalts eq downpipes :biglaugh:

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
You can always do some diag runs before and after, say 20mph to redline in 3rd gear, full throttle, get the diags to report rpm & air mass, maybe calculated load value as well if you like, then swap the pipe and do a few more runs, see if anything changes. Any increase or decrease in air flow due to the resonator will be picked up by more or less air mass.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You can always do some diag runs before and after, say 20mph to redline in 3rd gear, full throttle, get the diags to report rpm & air mass, maybe calculated load value as well if you like, then swap the pipe and do a few more runs, see if anything changes. Any increase or decrease in air flow due to the resonator will be picked up by more or less air mass.
I think Joe did some tests on the Dyno a few years ago and found that you lose a couple of horses with the chamber deleted.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I guess it depends on what your changing.. if just a pipe delete then i guess you might lose a few horsepower but if deleting the pipe and fitting a cda at the same time i guess it will even out

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
Why not get the standard intake carbon wrapped?

Best of both worlds.

Ok I know some of it is flexible and wouldn't really work but the rigid bits would be ok.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not get the standard intake carbon wrapped?

Best of both worlds.

Ok I know some of it is flexible and wouldn't really work but the rigid bits would be ok.
Interesting, the flexi bits aren't part of the Autodelta pipe they stay in place anyway. Would a wrap be able to stand the heat in an engine bay? I actually have some 3M carbon wrap on order atm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts